The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

It’s happening. GL with your future endeavors.

Some moron keeps saving his ass.

9 Likes

If the main two guys above me were a “bad boss who probably doesn’t like me” and “an idiot”, I think putting out feelers for other jobs even without the yes/no remote work situation is pretty reasonable.

I don’t see any downside to seeing what’s out there. Even if you do get offered another job, you don’t have to take it.

2 Likes

Yeah, you basically cannot become a billionaire just from record company contracts. You gotta either become the record company or leverage that fame to grow companies that you own. Or both, I suppose.

Yeah, if I had a situation like this with incompetent pestering coming at me from two directions, remote work would not have been the straw that broke this camel’s back.

The problem is that there really is no pestering. I am left alone, work like 20 hours a week, get paid well, and just waste the other 20 hours away in the office. I just think I’m at the point where that isn’t enough. I really do hate coming in every morning listening to a bunch of deplorables talk about how COVID is nothing and we need more guns for the liberal insurgency though. This is very much a first word problem situation that I covered up by taking a lot of trips this year. With nothing to look forward to now I realize that I’m just not happy “hanging on” for the next 30 years.

Unless you realllly know the market well and are sure that you can’t make as much or more somewhere else leave immediately. Every 2 years until you can’t get paid more and don’t have to work with morons.

2 Likes
5 Likes

I mean, I get enjoying a cushy job that pays well, but without much to look forward to, you have nothing to lose but a little bit of time and effort on resumes and interviews applying for other jobs. It’s certainly not impossible that there’s something out there that’s a similar or better situation that also pays more, and you don’t have to quit your job to check out new ones.

1 Like

I have an irrational fear that my employer will find out I’m searing around and end up firing me. This is obviously nonsensical and I need to get over it.

1 Like

Rihanna’s beauty and fashion stuff is legit btw. Its just mainly for women of color, which is why it wouldn’t get much airtime on this board.

She should be respected as an entrepreneur as much (or as little) as we respect folks like Bezos, Jobs, Gates etc.

1 Like

It’s not irrational. Its also my understanding that any termination for cause is usually career ending. You can suck it up if you get your wfh approved.

It is irrational as long as he is not violating policies to play hooky to go to interviews and such.

He said he previously got a job offer that his current job matched so he is clearly valued and not dealing with children who are going to go psycho over it.

Yeah, it’s not unethical or illegal to interview for other jobs. If they fire you for it, that’s a bad look on them, not on you. Just use your PTO for interviews if necessary.

I think I’ve got a bit of boglehead anxiety in me. One thing I’m pretty sure I’m going to do is buy an SPIA way before it’s advisable to save me from myself.

https://www.rawstory.com/british-grocery-worker-resignation-video/

2 Likes

Lol this article.

I wonder who Morning Consult’s clients are. Lol “silent majority” shows up here but not re: Afghanistan. Fuck off you absolute fucking rag. My ass is too clean to be wiped with this filth.

2 Likes

Wasn’t sure where to put this.

Visited my sister and BIL on the weekend. He’s on the edge of a nervous breakdown from work, working ~50 hour weeks from home managing a call centre for not nearly enough money. It makes me so mad that companies can get away with overloading their salaried employees and make them work ridiculous hours to get through it all.

I’ve never known him to be enough of a self-starter to quit and find another job, so I’m worried he’ll just keep working himself into the ground until something shorts out and he ends up with a serious illness.

I have been working from home since 2009 so the pandemic hasn’t been much change there, but I feel like I hybrid model works. I am not near any corporate office, but a little bit of socialization is good. My team has never been closer since the pandemic. We are in a constant zoom room where we swarm issues as they come in.

2 Likes