The Great C-Word Referendum - A Poll

As I said in the moderation thread, still makes me cringe to read it but I really hate words being censored in a discussion forum.

1 Like

N should have been the first banned imo bcause it’s unacceptable in all English-speaking countries, though as it’s never going to be used except by someone about to be perma’d I guess it’s somewhat academic.

I voted yes simply because I don’t want to lose posters over it. But if it’s banned and not other words, like n* and f* that were mentioned previously, seems weird. But maybe the difference is that if posters were using those words it would be an auto ban or something, idk im not a mod.

1 Like

I think the assumption is that we as a community have just collectively decided not to use those words. It’s not an issue - and if it were I have no doubt we would ban them. The c-word, for whatever reason, is an issue for us.

1 Like

Also if it happens it has to include a temp ban for circumventing the filter or it is entirely pointless.

If I can just type “cvnt” Lolol and that’s that then there is no point.

My feet are starting to lose traction here.

Lets add some money to the pot. If this pole fails, I will voluntarily stop posting here and leave the community forever. I have no desire to participate in a forum that allows casual misogyny because of a “fuck your feelings” mentality.

Regards,

–jman220

3 Likes

What about a community where it narrowly passes? Say 48% vote no.

1 Like

I am perfectly happy with adding every possible combination of that word to the profanity filter and see that I probably have an annoying hour or two figuring out some regexes in my future.

2 Likes

you still running with that one?

1 Like

the c word is the equivalent of a a racial or ethnic slur, IMO.

We should be censoring the n word.

We are. If anybody uses it they will be permed immediately and the post will be deleted. I don’t think anybody disagrees about that.

52-48 is a landslide electoral college victory, LDO. Biggest landslide in US history.

5 Likes

Also, paging @GrittyNHL to come vote in this.

Gimmicks voting. Very cool.

2 Likes

It’s not a gimmick. It’s Commonwealth’s only account that isn’t permabanned. Edit: I mean, yeah, it’s a gimmick obviously, but CW gets a say in this IMO, given the history, and the fact that he hasn’t totally stopped posting (see the stonks thread, for example).

No it isn’t. It just isn’t.

Maybe it triggers a similar degree of offense but it doesn’t have the history of oppression behind it that numerous racial slurs targeted at black people have.

I’m not saying it’s the same level as the N word. That word is in a league of it’s own. But I’m saying it’s equivalent to a general ethnic slur, yes. You think women haven’t been oppressed throughout history, and especially in the context of domestic violence, been called the ‘C’ word?

Bleeping is infantilizing and pointless. How is it less offensive to see, for example, “so and so is a dumb ****,” than “so and so is a dumb cvnt”? Everyone knows what was said. No word including racial slurs should be bleeped. We’re not children.

12 Likes

I mean if he wants his actual account unbanned, sure let him vote.

1 Like