The French Laundry & Other Great Dining Experiences

With wine pairings?

I assume though you didnt use the ajectives that the avocado was creamy and gave a delightful hint of fat that elevated the flavor of the overall cold cuts

Reporter’s friend requests a reservation at the hottest sushi place in Dallas, where the wait time is one month. One problem. The friend is deaf. She asks if there are any special accommodations. They promise they’ll adjust their menus to include the stuff they normally say verbally. The friend shows up to dinner only to have the waitress and chef sign to them all night. They had been practicing ASL for the whole month to prepare for them

11 Likes

Worth a read after I saw J. Kenji López-Alt post on instagram.

Despite Noma’s global reputation and eye-popping prices, the restaurant has depended heavily on uncompensated labor. The Financial Times has reported that, in its last year of operations before the pandemic, the restaurant typically had 34 paid cooks—and about 30 unpaid interns. Only in October, after nearly two decades in business, did Noma start paying the people who painstakingly prep and stage its food for presentation to customers.

https://archive.ph/p6zoV

Related to the previous post

1 Like

If there was anything that would keep foie gras alive, Mr. Coe said, it would be New Yorkers’ obsession with status.

“It’s rich and delicious, and rich food makes you feel rich,” he said. “New Yorkers are, of course, obsessed with status. When you order foie gras, you have a $30 extra charge on your appetizer, right? If you can just do that without blinking an eye, that shows that, you know, your status is better than the next person’s.”

Mr. Coe is a moron

1 Like

I take Kenji’s side on this one:

If the only solution to inhumane treatment of farm-raised meat animals is banning, then we should ban chicken first, and beef second. Ducks and geese raised for foie gras usually have pretty cushy lives by comparison. Or we could just mandate more humane conditions for farm animals instead of banning them all?

A fuckface maybe, but he’s not wrong. Those people are out there, and since they do have lots of money, people cater to their whims.

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Unburying the Past (more bickering)

afa5646fef2e747e3e2c4a3e9af21fcc47a39512

1 Like

why are we talking about foie gras when veal is still a thing?

Doing the hypocrisy thing for animal cruelty is a terrible route. The opposite of hypocricy shown in that sense isn’t truthful or consistent, it’s apathy.

As a side note, foie gras was prepared in a very unique way here when i was growing up. It was readily available in all kebab places grilled on open flame on a skewer. I used to go after school as a teenager and get a foie gras pita. Not something any person outside israel ever said.

Its been illegal for quite some time and is uber expansive now of course

Were you young? If so try it again somewhere decent. If you are still underwhelmed then I pity you.

https://twitter.com/NotABigJerk/status/1620558419122847744

1 Like

Michelin guide is coming to Tel Aviv for the first time late in 2023. Will be very interesting for me to see how they review the food scene here. I think the food in my restaurants is well worthy of a star or a mention but the service (and VFM although i don’t know if Michelin take food cost into consideration) are way sub par.

1 Like

miss the Zagat guide. it wasn’t perfect ofc, but it felt like a reasonable resource/starting point for dining, esp in cities you were not familiar with. googling “best restaurants in xxx” gets you a handful of lists that don’t often contain the same places. feels like a gap in the snobby travel market

1 Like

Yeah, Zagat was great for accessible dining. In the distant dark ages of 2010 or so we would grab a Zagat guide for our trips to NY and went to all kinds of great little places that we otherwise wouldn’t have found just by word of mouth or (God help us) Yelp.

1 Like

Is Eater kind of like a Zagat replacement?

I found myself on some list where I got it for free and discovered tons of new places when the new editions arrived. And we’d do the same, before they had a real presence on line. Picking up a copy of that little red book for whatever city (if they had one) from the library was almost always worth it.

1 Like

When i was 21 i took a trip to the US and would go to a bookstore in every city i got to, picked up a zagat and wrote down places i wanted to eat at.

I remember getting some weird ass look standing in line alone in the rain at swan oyster depot in SF. I also looked like i was 14 probably so it didnt help

1 Like