The French Laundry & Other Great Dining Experiences

What/where is this?

Used to love pok pok and would stop every time I was coming through Portland (had a project in Roseburg that required frequent trips).

Iā€™ll check out oma the next time Iā€™m down that way.

Not caring about money is a special skill that poor people lack.

3 Likes

Dill restaurant in iceland. Michelin 1 star. it was pretty impressive that almost all the ingredients were completely and/or traditionally icelandic. the non-alcoholic pairing of some locally brewed kombucha was more interesting than the wine pairing.

2 Likes

Man I miss good restaurants so much.

Specifically 25 cent martini lunches at commanderā€™s palace in NOLA.

I donā€™t know about that. There are definitely some people who are poor precisely because they donā€™t care about money. Theyā€™re the minority of poor people, but they exist.

Hey, I need help.

My family did Hot Pot for the first time and I think we need some training. Whatā€™s the right way to do it? Cook 1 piece of meat/vegetable at a time while you hold it with chopsticks? Toss a bunch of meat in? I have no idea. It was really, really good, but I donā€™t think we did it right. Weā€™re going again in a few weeks and my plan is to cook some noodles first, then meat like 2 or 3 at a time. Itā€™s AYCE.

Somebody experienced in Hot Pot please help us experience it correctly.

A few things:

1. There will typically be a sauce bar, where you go make your own dipping sauce. Use a sesame peanut butter sauce and add stuff in as you see fit.
  2. Order broth of choice. A big decisiĆ³n is whether or not to have numbing (Sichuan) peppers.
  3. Get a ton of both meat and veggies. Tofu too (skins work best). Noodles to make sure you get full at the end. The best meat is beef and lamb. Not so much chicken, pork, seafood. All of this will be served at once.
  4. Drop like 5-7 pieces of meat in at once at first. Once it bubbles, itā€™s ready to eat. Chow down on meat first as it flavors the broth more and more. Also it cooks the fastest.
  5. Start with veggies after a while. They take all different times to eat. Winter melon and lettuce are recommended things you might skip over on a menu.
  6. Put in the noodles last as this thickens the broth.
3 Likes

Thanks! We went with the 2 broth combo. My wife and I like spicy, of course my 9 year old daughter doesnā€™t.

This place we went to is an AYCE with 3 rounds, so I think weā€™ll pace ourselves better next time. We were wiped out after the 2nd round.

Looking forward to doing it again. Wish there was one more local to me :(.

You canā€™t be too, too far from an Asian grocery store, ya? With one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Shabu-HotPot-Divider/dp/B08KR9JLKX/ref=sr_1_12?crid=ELD50FHGTJ3J&keywords=hot+pot+divided&qid=1644553122&sprefix=hot+pot+divide%2Caps%2C121&sr=8-12

and an electric hot plate, itā€™s pretty easy to do at home. I did one a while back going into it thinking Iā€™d make the soup base from scratch, but most resources I looked at online recommended just buying a soup base from your local Asian grocery. The ones we bought blindly were pretty good, and they sold thinly sliced meat just for hot pot, too.

1 Like

Iā€™ll have to check the Asian groceries. That sounds like a fun dinner party event.

ETA: Though I fear itā€™ll end up in the cabinet with the fondue set that comes out every few years.

1 Like

It would

MrsWookie likes fondue more than most (few times a year), but yes, itā€™d be in that category. Not an unreasonable purchase if itā€™s something you really enjoy once a year though.

1 Like

This is also true

I think once or twice a year itā€™s easier to make the 1 to 1.5 hour trip to Seattle and just pay the $100 for the 3 of us.

The environment says thanks for buying more shit you donā€™t need and hardly ever use.

1 Like

Grue and Wookie, how soon before your reservation did you get a call from the restaurant? Our dinner is Monday and we havent heard from them, so I wasnt sure when they normally call

I donā€™t remember getting one, but maybe I did? I only remember the email, I think. But then again, they did get from me that it was our anniversary celebration, so maybe they called.

Yeah, for some reason I thought i heard they called in order to check for things like this.

when do these French Laundry reservations drop typically?