The French Laundry & Other Great Dining Experiences

Chirashi in Japan is more of a home or party meal than something you get at a restaurant.

Iā€™ve got 2 solo nights in Portland for work in a couple weeks. Any recomendations? @MrWookie or others in the area?

Edit: Nimblefish is calling my name I think. $85 Omakase.

Had a nice meal at Arden this past summer. Thatā€™s the only time Iā€™ve eaten in a restaurant in Portland since moving here. Most everything else is takeout in my burb, which, I havenā€™t found anything worth going that far out of your way for (except maybe one brewpub, but it wouldnā€™t be worth going there unless you can eat outside).

1 Like

An old coworker of mine has recently opened 2 restaurants in Portland, Gado Gado and Omaā€™s Hideaway.

Omaā€™s Hideaway was recently named one of the 11 Best New Restaurants of 2021 by Eater.

I havenā€™t been to either but would recommend them solely on how talented I know he and his wife are.

4 Likes

Menu and vibes at Omas look incredible. Iā€™ll make sure and do one of the dinners there. Thanks!

Life pro tip: donā€™t go on vacation with frugal friends. This is going to beā€¦ an interesting night.

2 Likes

Where are you? Do they have an Applebeeā€™s?

omg I cant wait, hopeful for a TR tomorrow.

All 80s hits played all night? Steve Miller? :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

We Built This City

Yeah canā€™t say the evening was ruined but we did not have a great time. 3 reasons, first as you saw fucking 80s blared all night. God I hate the fucking eagles. What the fuck.

2nd there was a 6 top of deplorables next to us complaining, literally, about poor people on welfare, loud as fuck. They left half way through at least but ugh.

Last, as I said do not bring frugal people to fine dining unless its on you. We told them yeah bottles of wine were gonna be $200+ ā€œoh no problemā€ sure enough we get there and they virtually have a fight about it at the table, one of them doesnā€™t drink (most likely because heā€™s cheap, not because he doesnā€™t like alcohol) so that was a fucking blast. And yeah constant comparisons to our ā€œfine diningā€ back home and IDK, bad, bad idea on our part. And they stole a pen, of course. :+1:

Menu:

sarah did not, as it were, have a happy birthday

7 Likes

Oh man I cannot imagine going there with cheap people. Iā€™m physically uncomfortable just thinking about it. I would probably just try to take charge at the outset and say Iā€™m paying because I couldnā€™t enjoy the meal otherwise.

5 Likes

Calotte de Boeuf is :drooling_face:

Honestly too distracted by other bullshit to enjoy it a lot =/

I genuinely feel bad about this for you. This trip report is worse than Rivermanā€™s famous Vegas TR.

Also, I had no idea that Snake River Farms was deemed French Laundry-level quality.

1 Like

Didnā€™t take any other pics. Top half of the menu probably better than the bottom half minus the desserts (there were like 6 of course all great but was pretty full). Wagyu was just OK. Quayle was meh should have went for the risotto. IDK will think about it more. I still enjoyed it but Iā€™ve done fine dining a decent amount before, if I never have before I would have been crushed by the situation. Kumail N was downstairs so uh that was cool?

Really sad to hear it didnt blow it put of the park for you Grue. That being said, if their menu is generally based month to month yours makes me really excited to visit end of month. Seems right up my alley

2 Likes

2 Likes

Omaā€™s is right in my neighborhood, Iā€™ve never been but my cousinā€™s been there many times and loves it. I think itā€™s the building that used to be The Whiskey Lounge, and that was where you could wait for a spot at Pok Pok across the street (both now gone)

I can definitely relate to this and have had similar experiences. If you are even suspicious that people you would be going with are going to be like this then donā€™t go with them or if they are close family/friends just tell them you are going to treat them and donā€™t tell them how much it cost.

Some people might think they are capable about not caring about the money, but like you found out they care. Like others have said sorry you had to go through that. It sounds awful.

1 Like