The French Laundry & Other Great Dining Experiences

I don’t think I’ve ever sent anything back. It’d have to be pretty close to two cold hard boiled eggs on top before I sent it back.

2 Likes

So if the yolks have some solid to them, that’s a hold?

I guess a lot of this hinges on one’s general attitude towards sending stuff back. That’s probably a bigger variable than the eggs themselves.

Would never send anything back at this price point.

Me neither. At least I don’t think so. My main problem is have no context for how inedible a poorly poached egg is. All eggs are equally inedible to me.

+1. The only thing I’ve ever sent back was a literal raw skirt steak. $15-$30 is a price point where it is what is is unless it’s unsafe.

Only rich people should send things back.

People who can afford to spend $1200 on a meal are rich by any reasonable measure.

I might send an egg back if there was uncooked white but never overcooked yoke. It’s very rare that happens to a significant degree because at these breakfast places those guys are doing that all day and they get very very good at it. You might get over medium instead of over easy but very rarely over hard instead of over easy. Although a new guy can get in the weeds and then everything he puts out is a disaster.

If I order a steak medium rare and it comes out well done I’m sending it back. If it’s medium well I’ll eat it.

2 Likes

The last thing I sent back was a beyond burger.

Burgers at this place were all $17-20. The basic burger was a double cheeseburger, and most other burgers were single-patty with other ingredients (bacon, eggs, chili, onion rings, etc). For any burger, you could upgrade to beyond meat for $4.

I wasn’t eating meat for that meal, and the only burger that didn’t have meat as another topping was the double cheeseburger. So I ordered the double cheeseburger with beyond meat.

What came out was a crappy little single-patty beyond burger, with cheese, lettuce, and tomato. I really don’t care if a dish is mediocre or whatever, but I’m pretty annoyed if I leave a restaurant hungry. I called the server over and asked why it’s single-patty, and she was totally unsure about whether this is the correct dish or whatever. The manager also couldn’t answer the basic question: “Is this what I ordered?”

So I put on my entitled white guy hat and said look, if you’re going to upcharge for beyond meat, then you have to disclose that you’re getting 1/2 the meat in the process, and also this menu is poorly designed and screws over vegetarians.

They made me a special burger with two beyond patties.

AITA?

lol Waffle House you’re incredibly unlikely to get bad temperature errors, on eggs or steak. Those guys are pros.

3 Likes

This country would be better off if we elected the Waffle House night managers as president and congresspeople.

6 Likes

And have people like Gym Jordan and MTG managing the Waffle Houses? No thanks.

5 Likes

Good point. We can’t let them ruin the last remaining pinnacle of success in America.

2 Likes

Waffle House line cooks are truly incredible. They never even write the shit down and somehow remember like 10 simultaneous orders, outrageous competence.

1 Like

One of my earliest memories is eating at a Waffle House late at night on a road trip with my family and noticing that the waitress had a big waffle iron burn on her forearm

Do they do poached eggs at the Waffle House?

I don’t think they have any dishes that require poached eggs but they might. If you order some the cook is going to get vertigo from rolling his eyes though. Have to boil a pot of water just for the eggs. Someplace that has eggs benedict on the menu is going to have a poaching pot going all the time.

Thank goodness you all were praising Waffle House or I was about to get in some heated arguments in here.

3 Likes

Apparently they “remember” the orders by placing specific items on an empty plate in particular places and configurations. The picture in the article looks like a play chart. Lol

"When employees stand and call out each order to the grill operators, they use a fascinating code, called the “mark” system.

Using accoutrements such as jelly packets, mayonnaise packets, pickles, cheese and hash brown pieces, grill operators are told what orders go on which plates. A jelly packet at the bottom of the plate signifies scrambled eggs. Raisin toast is signified by a packet of apple butter. A mustard packet facing up means a pork chop. Face-down means country ham. A pat of butter is a T-bone, and its place on the plate determines how the steak cooked, from well done at the top to rare at the bottom."

4 Likes