The Former Presidency of Donald J. Trump, Volume XI: The Crypt Keeper Years

I think theres some skill in doing theme parks well. Doing them badly sucks, doing them well can massively improve the experience.

Ianatpe. More just reading others and having experienced doing them badly.

2 Likes

Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride.

:cry: :pensive: :disappointed:

2 Likes

I’ve always wanted to do the epcot drink around the world thing but why do that when you can, like, drink somewhere in the actual world

2 Likes

Counterpoint: I’m an old crotchety man, and when we took my then 7 year old daughter to Disneyland a couple of years ago I had a smile on my face from the first ride of the first day to the last ride on the third day.

I expected to be miserable the entire time.

We’re planning on going back next year.

11 Likes

I’m really not trying to be a dick and people like different things. I guess I have just heard a few horror stories so the amount of frequent visitors here seems odd to me.

And while I may not be a hipster I do believe the real world can sometimes be the best diversion from itself. I’m sure we have all experienced those times at an event, a concert, a restaurant or even a bar where 4 hours goes by in 1. I don’t see Disneyworld ever being that for me. If it is for you or anyone else I am happy af for you all. Those moments are few and far between.

On second thought maybe I just figured out the fascination :joy::joy::joy:

Ya I guess that’s my entire point. I’ve never been anywhere of any real size with distilleries, wineries and breweries.

Is the Epcot Drink around the world full of the most stereotypical beer from each place? I need a trip report.

Last went to Disneyland 8 years ago or so. One thing I will say about Disneyland is long lines are really only an issue if you are doing it wrong. Back when I was a kid and went it definitely was. But now they have a system where you can sign up to get a short line for the popular rides in 2 hours or so. So you sign up for the short line to splash mountain, go do the less popular stuff for an hour or two, get a 5 minute line if that, then rinse and repeat for the next ride.

Not sure I would go by myself, but was completely worth it to go with my nieces and nephews.

1 Like

Man the one day I’m offline all day and the Trump thread derails into a coaster and Disney discussion.

Disney can be amazing. Or it can suck. Totally depends on what you want out of your visit and how well you visit the park(s). Honestly that holds true for pretty much any amusement park other than the shittiest ones that will suck no matter what.

And now for one of my random Disneyworld stories…one day I got evacced off of both Space Mountain and Tower of Terror. Both at the very top of each ride, so I got to see Space Mountain with the lights on and walk down from the highest point. Then went over to Hollywood Studios and got the same experience at the top of Tower of Terror, which was really neat because the lights being on ruins all of the visual illusions and allows you to see how it’s all set up. The coaster/theme park nerd that I was back then was very, very happy.

I know a guy who went to Disneyland for high school grad night, dropped acid, got busted with a joint that was passed to him on the Small World ride - by security guards in all-black just who just emerged out of the shadows, had to spend the entire night in Disney jail tripping balls under bright fluorescent lights, sitting on metal chairs at a metal table across form a roided-up jock who was also tripping and freaking out, then in the morning got paraded in a walk of shame in front of all the buses after all the kids had boarded.

Worst bad trip story I ever heard.

4 Likes

I get nauseous after too many rides. But for some of them the problem is I’m old and fat and my bones getting slammed around really doesn’t feel good.

We hit Disneyland right before COVID shit hit the fan, so it was my last trip more than 20 miles from my house. Kids loved it, so it was worth it, but I’m not exactly looking forward to going back. Our plan was about every 2 yrs, so the way things are going, it may end up being our first post-COVID trip as well.

+1 to lines no longer being an issue. With the apps and fastpass or whatever it is called, there is very little waiting in line if you do it right. The only thing we had a significant wait on was one of the new Star Wars rides that had apparently opened very recently. I forget the details, but there was no way to use the app to avoid the line for that.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Wxzbl

Oh it sucks. People go either because they’re children want it or they were taken there as kids.

Or they’re weirdos. Whatever.

1 Like

The ‘theme parks’ as they are known in Australia are the most overpriced trash places. I feel bad for families lured into going.

Oh there are plenty of trashy ones. I went to this one as a kid

I still have a damaged tailbone from a coaster ride i went on in my mid-20s. It was the Skyrider at Canada’s Wonderland, a stand-up roller coaster. They didn’t adjust my position right at first, so I had them fix it, but they didn’t fix it completely. I didn’t want to hold up the ride again, so I just decided to deal with it. Big mistake — my ass was sore for two weeks afterward, and I still have pain when I sit on flat surfaces for any length of time.

1 Like

Amazing the Trump fall from relevance. From legit worries about a pseudo-fascist coup to sad press releases about election conspiracies and discussing fucking rollercoasters on his thread a few months later. I’m struggling to recall a fall from grace as sharp and complete as this.

7 Likes

If only Twitter had banned him years ago…

2 Likes

This is partially* why I think we are likely to see a standard boring politician (at least by Trumpism standards) as the next GOP nominee. Trump himself just isn’t going to maintain relevance and he is the only man or woman in the history of the world that could pull off his style.

Don’t get me wrong, the GOP base will still be insane, but they were insane when they were nominating Dole, Bush, McCain and Romney.

*The other big part is that the Biden administration just isn’t going to foment the frothing-at-the-mouth insanity that Obama’s did. So primary season is going to revert to shit only politics-obsessed people care about.

Yes, but now they boo Mitt and call him a communist. There are degrees of “insane”.

3 Likes