The Former Presidency of Donald J. Trump, Volume XI: The Crypt Keeper Years

Dickens is great

Moby Dick is terrrible.

https://www.axios.com/trump-oval-office-meeting-sidney-powell-a8e1e466-2e42-42d0-9cf1-26eb267f8723.html

2 Likes

What a loser.

lololololol

5 Likes

I feel like Dickens would be more enjoyable if he wasn’t paid by the chapter.

5 Likes

Because if you reached a conclusion it must be true.

Probably not as tedious as the 100+ page detour Les Miserables takes to describe the battle of waterloo which if I remember correctly started as one character asking another “what’s up?.” First book I didn’t slog through, and this was while I was a theater nerd and Les Mis was super popular.

1 Like

23 Likes

https://twitter.com/MichaelEHayden/status/1355207853238267905?s=20

This whole Russia/GOP collusion stuff is just a conspiracy theory, right guise?

5 Likes

The Dem establishment is Republican lite. Has been that way since at least Reagan.

If it wasn’t, AOC would already be speaker

1 Like

https://judiciary.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=3515

From David Schoen’s website (new tRUmp impeachment attorney) - he apparently has a proclivity for defending mafia figures :

• Defense of reputed boss of one of New York’s so-called five Mafia families in racketeering murder case;
  • Defense of man alleged to be most powerful Italian Mafia figure in the world in racketeering murder case;
  • Defense of alleged leader of the so-called Russian Mafia in America in narcotics case;
  • Defense of alleged leadership of so-called Israeli Mafia in America in narcotics case;
  • Defense of alleged member of Latin Kings in racketeering murder/Hobbs Act case;
  • Class action striking down Alabama’s foster care system as unconstitutional;
  • Class action striking down Alabama’s system of public education as unconstitutional;
  • Action on behalf of Ku Klux Klan striking down anti-masking and other public march prohibitions;

He does have some cases that don’t seem so bad or politically partisan:

• Class action leading to the establishment of new procedures for indigent pretrial detainees in Alabama;
  • Class action establishing new procedures for conditions of confinement in segregation custody in Alabama;
  • Class actions establishing new conditions of confinement for inmates at many county jails;
  • Actions for damages against various police departments and businesses for excessive force, false arrest, etc.
  • Action for injunction against public officials for sponsoring official prayers at public school events;
  • Wrongful death actions, including largest award for police shooting/wrongful death case in Alabama;
  • Bivens actions and FTCA actions against federal agents for unlawful conduct;
  • Fair Housing Act actions against newspapers for discriminatory housing ads;
  • Fair Housing Act action for Arab-American professor beaten and intimidated based on his ethnicity;
  • Defense of a Jehovah’s Witness in action by hospital seeking to force a blood transfusion (right to die case);
  • Action challenging institutional good time credit procedure as racially discriminatory;
  • Damages action on behalf of criminal defendant wrongly convicted of murder with false evidence;
  • Damages action for female inmate subjected to brutal conditions of confinement;
  • Damages and injunctive relief action for Muslim inmate leading to establishment of Islamic services;
  • Defense of Democratic Party of the United States on claim of race discrimination (with Hogan & Hart son);

https://twitter.com/david8hughes/status/473127276653985792

9 Likes

It took me a year to read Bleak House. In that same year I also read The Quincunx, which is >1,000 pages long as well. I do not know why I subjected myself to this, but the end result is that I have hopelessly confused the plots of both books while simultaneously being horrified by 19th century England.

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/cristianafarias/status/1356649993231343616

2 Likes

My 6th grade teacher gave me a set of Reader’s Digest condensed versions of Dickens.

A Tale of Two Cities might be the only one I’ve read the full version of. I still remember the opening and closing lines over 40 years later. It’s great.

Never been able to get past ch 1 of Moby Dick. Tried several times.

honestly, I never really enjoyed Catcher in the Rye. Maybe because I was never really a disaffected teenaged boy? We didn’t have a word for it then, but man, that book has real incel vibes.

4 Likes

yeah I’m not a fan either

I don’t know why we’re comparing Moby Dick with Dickens. I haven’t read Moby Dick but it sounds terrible. Dickens is great. He wrote actual interesting stories that are enjoyable to read.

2 Likes

What are you reading? - Arts & Entertainment - Unstuck Politics Forum

Pitch us your favourite novel - Arts & Entertainment - Unstuck Politics Forum

eta: Just a suggestion for discussions of novels.

3 Likes

This is one of those classics that was never assigned in any of my classes, so I never read it.