The Former Presidency of Donald J. Trump, Volume XI: The Crypt Keeper Years

Fuck the fuck off. I was forced to read that in middle school and once again in high school. I blame being forced to read that fucking boring ass book twice as one of the biggest reasons I hated reading for a long ass time.

Seeing someone said they read that in 9th grade and liked it, not just liked is one of their favorites is one of the most tilting things I’ve read in some time.

Fuck any grade school teacher forcing that shit down their students necks.

woooow, easy there.

I do think middle school is a bit young for that book. 9th grade too, probably.

Sorry, I like what I like. :woman_shrugging:

I stand by my rant, man I loathe that book. Almost all comes down to middle school.

My niece goes to the same middle school program I went to. My summer reading, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings and next year Tale of two Cities. Her summer reading. Whatever you want (with in reason) as long as you have a report.

Hmm which way actually gets middle schoolers reading.

Summer reading, more like summer not reading, amirite?

3 Likes

Well if you can read Harry Potter cool, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings fuck off

1 Like

Confession time, haven’t done any sustained reading of Dickens in my life. All things considered, I feel that this is good but wouldn’t really know unless I had read him, paradox. I don’t recall any teachers assigning him in HS. It was all Hemmingway, Fitzgerald, post war stuff.

1 Like

I just finished moby dick. It took three months, there’s no way that even 1% of people have read that whole thing. It’s weird and has some evocative bits but man there’s plenty of very dull bits. I especially like the part where the narrator takes a 40+ page excursion to document everything they know about whales starting with

1. A whale is a fish, some people say its a mammal but I know its a fish because it lives in the water where fish live.

Thanks Mr whale expert. Great logic.

17 Likes

there’s just no way this describes most people. even accounting for fact people lie to pollsters.

sounds like your 9th grade teacher

wasn’t hot

Started reading Moby Dick last year, but goddamn that is one heavy read. 1/1000 sounds too high, no way 0.1% would slog through after realizing the first 50 pages are, in fact, representative of the entire book and it won’t get any easier.

This makes me very motivated to finish the book, thanks!

1 Like

I didn’t read Moby Dick until ten years after finishing a doctorate in litetature lol. And yet…i absolutely adore it.

3 Likes

I’m fairly certain I read that book in 4th or 5th grade when I was working my way through the library at my school. It did not make an impression on me, but a lot of my reading is data acquisition because I enjoy knowing stuff.

Have we ever done a favourite book thread? Mine is Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I’m planning to exercise a lot over the next couple months and will need some audiobooks. I just started Thin Air by Richard Morgan which will take a while, but I’d sign up for some people’s favourites after that. Charles Dickens is definitely a how about no, though.

1 Like

I made a Pitch Us Your Favourite Novel thread.

2 Likes

Count of monte cristo audible version was amazing. Off the back of that success im trying war and peace… less successful.

1 Like

When it’s the only book they’ve ever read, then it’s their favorite by default.

1 Like

I’ve spent the past year trying to read it and have gotten like 50 to 70 pages in.

Some of the best writing ever and also it’s an exceptionally immersive adventure story? Just skip over the unimportant chapters and it’s a great read.

1 Like

Dickens is great and you are missing out.

2 Likes