The First Trump Impeachment: Wrap Up and AMA (Within Reason)

The fuck are you babbling about? Trump won the election as it was set up. That’s the system we have, the electoral college – you’re always jerking off to the Constitution, it’s all right there man. You certainly wouldn’t be suggesting faithless electors choose Trump if he had won the popular vote and lost the EC.

The Senate voting to acquit is shredding the Constitution, but faithless electors voting in Hillary after she loses the EC isn’t? Because…why?

I wouldn’t give Steyer anywhere near this much credit, but Benjamin Franklin was damn rich. $10.3 billion equivalent according to the internet.

So you were cool with the Supreme Court deciding the 2000 election 5-4, because there wasn’t enough time to transition to a new administration properly when it was very obvious Gore won? The Electoral College should have been blown up right then and there, but the GOP (and you!) loves it. I’m glad you weren’t being sarcastic. It just cuts right to which side of the shoe you are.

Mark my words here. If we lose in November, this thread is a perfect microcosm of why.

I agree. Clueless idiots who think that we are just one more huge lawbro moment away from any of it mattering are a big reason why we are where we are and why we might lose. Could not agree more.

4 Likes

I love the electoral college? Jesus man what is wrong with you?

Can’t blow up the Electoral College without blowing it all up. You should consider coming over to Team Blow It Up.

1 Like

You just said it was the system, and we have to follow its time honored tradition. What are you doing about it? Voting? Cuz I’m pretty sure you didn’t do that in 2016. You’re also absolutely defending it, sorry.

Not a single comment about what the Supreme Court did in 2000 either. The EC’s very purpose was to subvert the will of the people, so why are you saying we shouldn’t use it to ‘subvert’ the people who lost (the will of the people was for Hillary to be president)? The Electoral College is easily this country’s biggest failure, and it should have been obliterated long ago if it wasn’t going to do anything but subvert the will of the people (if he’s in, it subverts the will of the people, if he’s not in it doesn’t, this isn’t hard). Listen to yourself bro. This is what happens when a troll loses their way.

Of course we have to follow the EC unless it is changed. Otherwise it’s just chaos. Not because it is tradition, it’s the law of the land — the constitution. I’m fine with getting rid of it, obviously.

National Popular Vote Interstate Compact disagrees. It’s not all that far off, in case you’re wondering. It activates at 270. It’s at 196 right now, and there is legislation pending in states worth 160 electors (doesn’t mean it will pass). It was nowhere near that in 2017, with many of the states pending never having considered it. States with 182 electors have nothing pending or planned. Republican controlled Oklahoma and Arizona passed it.

Virginia, after having killed it twice in committee as recently as January 31, just passed it out of the lower house committee on Sunday (according to wikipedia, and not sure if there was any turnover of power I’m not aware of that happened on Feb. 1). Maybe they see the threat of another Trump Electoral College victory after the impeachment. Of course none of that will matter if Trump just outright wins a second term.

The EC is chaos, wtf is wrong with you? How many more will of the people votes being overturned do you think this country will stand? After 2016, I had it at 2. If Trump wins via EC in 2020, the rest of the states will pass the NPV that have legislation pending. That’s because they know what will happen if 4 of the last 7 elections overturn the will of the people, and what the consequences of those overturned votes were for this country. The ones who are not on the team are the ones with no legislation pending or planned.

Didn’t A Virginia House move to the Dems at the start of February?

I know they won an election recently that flipped the legislature, but I didn’t know when they started. Does the article say February 1 (it’s behind a paywall)? Normally bodies flip in January, or at least I thought they did. Either way, looks like Virginia will probably get the NPV.

I don’t know when they got started but the’ve passed some stuff… I thought it was the VRA but can’t seem to find a link… :cry:

Virginia State Board of Elections, 383 U.S. 663 (1966), the Supreme Court held Virginia’s poll tax to be unconstitutional under the 14th amendment. The law had an immediate impact. … By the end of 1966, only 4 out of the 13 southern states had fewer than 50 percent of African Americans registered to vote.
https://www.ourdocuments.gov › doc
Voting Rights Act (1965) - Our Documents

The rest of the states will not pass it. Why would they? How are you coming to this conclusion?

1 Like

I sincerely don’t believe the NPVIC should be considered constitutional. Allowing it is basically saying that the amendment process is irrelevant.

In any case, the NPVIC is a bandaid that doesn’t address the problem of the composition of the Senate, which I think requires a new constitution and not just a bunch of amendments. At some point, we need a constitutional crisis that is sufficiently difficult to motivate people to change the constitution. The NPVIC at best delays that moment. I don’t want to delay that moment.

1 Like

I already said that it would be good if the EC were abolished. But you weren’t talking about an amendment abolishing the EC, you were talking about faithless electors ignoring how their states voted in an election that was carried out without those reforms in place. And, of course, only for the specific case of Donald Trump, not if Hillary had won the EC but not the popular vote. Obviously a terrible idea.

Anyway, you think 50 states will pass NPV legislation if Trump wins the EC but not the popular vote? lol, mostly at me for talking to you. Should have made this my first and only post ITT:

We just got rid of the current one, so why not? I say we make the 2A mean that if you want to own a gun it means you’re conscripted into the military and you can only have your gun when called up for service with lots of training and knowing exactly what and where your guns are. After all, that’s what a well-regulated militia is. If nothing matters, go big. Use it as a weapon.

Who does the EC benefit? The GOP. When will they get rid of it? The day after they lose an election because of it.

Who does Citizens United benefit? The GOP. When will they get rid of it? The day after they lose an election to someone like Bloomberg or Steyer.

They certainly have no interest in restoring the Voting Rights Act, because they’d lose half the states in the South if they re-instated the bad actor provisions with the demographic shifts going on.

The states are given pretty broad control over their electors, if it’s legal for them to force all of their electors to vote for the candidate who won the state popular vote it should be legal to force them to vote for the candidate who won the national popular vote.

I’m sure SCOTUS would be glad to rule that states can’t implement the NPVIC because reasons, though.