The Crypto Thread

Not really. If you have your account linked to Zelle (which I think is now the default for all the banks that own Zelle) and they take the money that way, you’re likely screwed. Think it’s the same if you have your bank account linked to other payment appx.

1 Like

well it depends on perspective. if you don’t lose or give away your crypto key, you can’t be scammed. the same can’t be said for credit cards OR banks, as lkioi just noted and almost everyone has experience getting their credit card stolen. the bank companies can make it right with you, ok, but you gotta initiate it, it’s your headache from their error and your fate is in their hands.

do everything right in crypto: no problems

do everything right with banks: potential problems

make a mistake with crypto: potentially lose that crypto

make a mistake with banks: potentially go to prison

2 Likes

Normal people can’t even remember the fucking pin to unlock their phone, lol expecting them to “do everything right.” This shit is supposed to be easier, not harder? And to scam a bitcoin casual fan all you have to do is get their key, if they can remember it, or (maybe) hack them? All banks require two factor authentication.

1 Like

Crypto is so safe, even the owner can’t steal it

8 Likes

That sounds like a very profitable business opportunity. Make the shit easier and take maney, the f do

well the key isn’t something you ever have to type out or use, that’s the trick. you give out your bank card number and 3 digit whatever every time you want to buy a pack of gum or a bedroom set, and you trust the merchant to take what you agreed on, and you trust the bank to make things right if the merchant decides to type in larger numbers than you agreed on.

see? it’s deflationary, too

5 Likes

The whitepaper by satoshi(whoever that is). He/She doesn’t mention it being easier.

I only mention this because , there is not alot information from the creator of BTC so everything else is just someone’s opinion.

1 Like

Did you get it back or did you lose it forever?

I guess I’m super old because i don’t have my bank accounts linked with Zelle. The way you describe it though Zelle sounds pretty shitty.

Your risk of ruin with banks/credit cards in the vast vast majority of circumstances is inconvenience, but you’re getting your money back. The liability is nearly always on the bank and/or the credit card company. Your risk of ruin with crypto is losing your money with no recourse. I mean, I get it, it’s a valid investment vehicle and lord knows y’all have made a ton of money from it, but are you seriously arguing it is safer for the average user than a bank or credit card?

Edit: Make a mistake with a bank and potentially go to prison? What’s the mistake? Tripping and falling into a bank with a gun while coughing and having it sound like youu’re saying “give me all your money?”

1 Like

Yeah, I woudnt fault you for jamming money into spy down over 20% or btc down w/e as a longterm investor who doesn’t fuck with shit during times like this. I wo7ld just make sure to keep some serious bullets left for an 08 style recession which puts the dow at 18k while we all whimper at it being at a disastrous 30k. Bitcoin could get hammered at that point and i will very likely be jamming money into it myself.

There is a good chance you account is linked to zelle and you don’t even know it (or at least if someone gets control of your bank account, they can activate it with just a click).

I’m fairly confident that if Zelle, which I don’t use, magically withdrew money from my account I’d get it back by calling the bank, but failing that I’d get it back when I filed an online complaint with an agency that regulates banks such as here: File a Complaint | Federal Reserve Consumer Help. There is no equivalent for crypto.

only in the case where you’ve got a wallet where the pass phrase is properly secured, then yeah it’s safer than having a bank account or credit card. cards are better to buy gum and lunch with, sure. they’re easier because they’re not as safe.

as for the prison thing idk, there are a bunch of ways. fill out a check wrong, it’s checking fraud. fill out a loan form wrong, it’s bank fraud. if the bank accidentally credits your account with money and you spend it they’ll consider it theft. not to say you can’t commit crimes on blockchain, it just doesn’t seem possible to accidentally do it.

I personally love the “man will the government just regulate crypto” shit from the “man crypto is awesome the government can’t touch it” crowd.

:vince1:

do everything right in crypto: no problems
:vince1:

do everything right with banks: potential problems
:vince2:

make a mistake with crypto: potentially lose that crypto
:vince3:

make a mistake with banks: potentially go to prison
:vince4:

13 Likes

Had 7K seized. State taxes purportedly owed in 2018, despite the fact that I moved out of the state in 2015.

I believe I got about 6K back after much stressful, exhaustive hassle, and even the bank whose job it was to protect my funds charged me significant bank fees which I did not get back.

It was a stressful, colossal nightmare.