The Crypto Thread

Oh God, suzzer, you sound like an anti-vaxxer leaning hard into your friend’s anecdote to massively overestimate the probability of a bad outcome.

7 Likes

I will admit this is groundhog day in one sense. I posted the thing about Binance turning over user data, which I think most of us can agree is a legitimate topic of conversation for this thread. We could have had a sober conversation about the ramifications of that.

But Beetlejuice comes flying in with “Shouldn’t support terrorists bro ¯\(ツ)/¯” which of course sets me off, and now the battle royale is on. I still can’t figure out of he’s trolls me on purpose or is just that obtuse. But it works either way.

Unlike past arguments however, no one’s even tried the “At least we believe in something, all you want to do is tear things down” line time time around. And no one’s even tried to offer one legitimate positive utility of crypto. So I guess we finally admit it’s all just about the pump and dump, and none about making the world a better place.

3 Likes

If you are only using MM to send/receive funds, it’s very very hard to mess up. People get scammed when they either fall for phishing attacks or interact with a scam website - neither of which is necessary to send/receive funds. If you want to use crypto to purchase stuff - just make sure you’re purchasing off a legit website and you’re safe.

1 Like

Did you ignore Louis’ post or do you disagree with it, or are you being a passive aggressive fuck for no good reason?

Who’s louis

Here it is in case you missed it

Maintaining a totally off-the-grid wallet is a similar use case for crypto as is running Signal and a bootable flash copy of Tails on secure devices for all of your ecomms. Neither of these apply to “the masses,” yet there’s obvious utility in both for people trying to evade murderous dictators and authoritarian regimes. I basically use crypto to buy fake baseball cards because it’s easier and cheaper than using my credit card. I’m not trying to fund enemies of the state like The Walt Disney Company in Florida, but if I was, I couldn’t reasonably expect that information to be anonymous when I’ve provided detailed personal information, driver’s license photos, and a facial geometry head scan to the exchange under KYC regulations while a despot like DeSantis is after that info. I mean that would be really naive, right?

1 Like

Its ok to apologize now for continuing the dumbass terrotist talking point over a hundred posts.

1 Like

Maybe let’s simmer down on the aggressiveness in here.

Right. I’m not defending putin I’m just saying the law is what it is. If someone donated to navalny under their own name through any number of legal banking institutions the Russian gvt is gonna fuck with them.

Funding terrorist/extremist organizations through binance instead of withdrawing and sending crypto peer to peer is like going to the beach and not jumping in the water. They’re almost there, they were almost free and clear. But they left a paper trail. Using crypto could help them avoid that paper trail, but they didn’t use crypto, they used an exchange to send the money. An exchange they knew had linked to their bank account and personal identity

But as Louis pointed out these people who are fucked now donated to a POLITICIAN. Not a fucking terrorist. Binance knows that is what he was and still turned these people over while giving zero fucks.

As crypto enthusiasts you all should be up in arms and shouting from the rooftops how terrible it is. Not fucking defending it. It makes you seem like a callous fucking “got mine, fuck y’all” megaasshole.

Do fucking better.

1 Like

Then you should be calling for Binance to shut down. You should be staging fucking sit ins and boycots at their headquarters.

These are people running an exchange using something you value. You shouldnt stand for them turning over innocent people to a fucki g despot.

Boy, no similarity to anyone here.

2 Likes

Nah, its fine, stick your head in the sand. Who gives a shit, we’ll all be dead soon anyway.

Enjoy your money

That you can receive a RivermanDAO token which qualifies you for an upcoming art drop event?

1 Like

No worries, you’re right. Im a hypocrite. Don’t worry about it.

1 Like

I don’t think the situation with Binance is even being framed accurately. The discussions happened last year, before the invasion. It’s not clear how far along they went, whether any agreements were formalized, or whether any account information was given. And Binance says they have since stopped all engagement with the Russian government since the war started.

The entire story is that last year Binance was in discussions with the Russian government about compliance with their regulations. That’s it. Not only has nothing else been proven, nothing else has even alleged. afaik nobody is reporting that Binance ever actually gave up information about accounts that donated to Navalny.

1 Like