The Crypto Thread

I’ve never once claimed that people like me and other relatively tech-savvy people couldn’t maintain their own wallet. My argument has always been wrt mass adoption, which at least some of the crypto’s pie-in-the-sky claims are dependent on.

The masses are going to flock to something like coinbase that holds their hand. But again - why would the masses do that other than price speculation? What other use case is there on coinbase? As we’ve discovered it’s not getting around governments.

I guess hypothetically someone who shares your intentions to fund known terrorist organizations could mow lawns all summer and accept crypto as payment for those services directly to their private wallet. It’d be exactly the same as cash, in that nobody would really link it to you unless you deposited it to a bank legally licensed and regulated in your area and linked to your identity, before transmitting the funds through that bank directly to the terrorist organization

My mom can and does post on internet forums. My mom could not maintain her own crypto wallet.

Are you making these terrible analogies on purpose just to troll me?

Any bad actor who really wants to fund a terrorist organization can figure out how to use a crypto wallet. They can and do all the time. You really think you’re going to catch many funders of actual terrorists funders on Binance?

For ordinary middle-aged Russian who cares about resisting Putin, the personal wallet may be a bit much.

So once again we’ve shown that crypto works best for highly motivated illicit activities (and making first adopters money of course).

You continuing to call Navalny’s organization a terrorist group is pretty damn offensive too. But I assume you’re just trolling because you can tell it pisses me off. Shows a massive lack of empathy for the real human suffering that’s happening right now because of Putin. Then again empathy seems to be a foreign concept to a large chunk of crypto bros.

OMG suzzer will you please at least try installing MetaMask so you have maybe a fraction of a clue what you’re posting about?

1 Like

I’m trying to imagine someone wanting to safeguard their money by converting from rubles to bitcoin. They join an exchange, confirm their identity, link their checking account, all online. Make a trade, or trades, buying bitcoin, but can’t figure out how to download a free app or software to withdraw it to.

Like someone wanting to flee nazi Germany, sells their furniture and cars and converts it to loose diamonds. They go to debeers and buy the diamonds, but instead of leaving with a tiny pouch of stones, they keep the diamonds at debeers under their own name.

1 Like

I have zero interest in actually owning crypto. Also I’ve heard some really bad things about metamask itt and elsewhere.

1 Like

Amazing

6 Likes

Metamask is insanely easy for simple crypto transactions. Especially on easy mode. It’s no harder than venmo.

Wow. A forum made up of mostly former online poker players can figure out crypto wallets. This changes everything. We definitely represent the masses.

Holy fuck, it’s a browser extension you can install in 1 minute, what am I reading?

2 Likes

Yeah but if you check the wrong box when importing your HWAX or whatever, or stupidly do what the NFT wants you to do (lol why would you do that, idiot? Never do what the NFT wants you to do) - money all gone.

I’ve been pretty clear that I have no interest in owning crypto, and also that I have no doubt I could figure out a crypto wallet if I wanted to, as could everyone on this forum. We are not the masses.

But at least I know metamask support is always available on twitter if I need help.

I’m sure no normies ever fall for these scams and the people pumping them out are just wasting their effort. Oh wait normies do all the time - and we laugh at them. But don’t say it’s hard, wallets are easy! (if you’re not a moron)

I never said you couldn’t make money at crypto. You keep bringing that up like it means something.

What if T-Mobile drains his bank account?

No, it’s a crucial aspect of this story. “Crypto” isn’t stopping anyone from fleeing Russia or Ukraine. One of the links between traditional banks and crypto is following the law. You wouldn’t like it if a Saudi crypto exchange was openly facilitating funding terrorism and resisting cooperating with the USA when they’re operating in the USA and serving US customers.

Right - which means for crypto to live up to one of its promises, you can’t use an exchange, which eliminates a lot of the masses, which makes the promise hollow.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Also you keep acting like every international company must comply to any request from a local government. Thankfully the world doesn’t run on pure capitalism like that. Companies deny abusive request all the time. Binamce easily could have done so.

You can! Just don’t use the exchange itself to fund terrorism!

Or you MIGHT get put on a list, indicating to authorities that you did the thing that you did

Yeah there’s an incredible bubble of dumb money happening right now. It’s fascinating as hell. I just have no interest in participating in it.

I install a wallet. What have we learned? Does it change any of the horror stories of people losing everything?

The real challenge isn’t installing or using the wallet. It’s making sure you follow every single best practice, knowing there’s zero safety net if you fuck up. Normies will never go for that.