The Crypto Thread

Good to see Daddy Elon taking his previous “punishment” from the SEC to heart.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1356524205374918659

So we now know “a while” = 2 days.

1 Like

Just threw the remainder of my original $500 (now $180 lol) into dogecoin. I’m sure that’ll turn out to be an excellent decision in hindsight.

2 Likes

I sold all my DOGE 10 minutes before Elons tweets pumped it up, exquisite timing if I say so myself… :man_shrugging:

I got back into crypto a few weeks ago, after noticing my wallet from early 2018, which plummeted by 80% after I got in (again, excellent timing), was actually back in the black! The only exception is my bag of ICON (ICX), which basically evaporated. Anyone know what happened there, is that a zombie coin now?

1 Like

6 Likes

Actually, it depends on where your sell order is. I mean, if you want to take a flyer on some speculative shit this is definitely the thread to get some recommendations.

Here’s the top of that long list I posted last night, compared to today:

And AKRO would’ve been one I recommended lol.

I don’t have all those different cryptos because I’m some sort of zealot, this is just a game like poker and I have very conservative sell orders in place for almost all of them.

I am still waiting for my MtGox coins. The funny thing is it forced me to hold them and I would have sold them like I did most other coins a long time ago. This means that even though I expect to get about 25÷ of the coins I lost I will make a decent amount of money. Same is true for almost everyone else.

1 Like

Sell order? Fuck that, I’m hodling this shit till it hits 40k a coin. What’s that you say? Doge is uncapped, unlike BTC and there are way more coins in circulation? Fuck you I say, it’s going to the moon.

2 Likes

This is why I stopped making the joke about Mt.Gox because what I’d still call unwarranted, despite the history, paranoia was the only thing that saved me and I assumed, considering the poker origin story, that people here did get screwed by the whole affair.

On the contrary, they’re actually going stronger than before working on their thing. The problem with a lot of the things, specifically ICX, is that there was a perfect storm in 2018:

1. BTC reaches ath and was the first time it was really really in the media, thus,
  2. people start throwing money at everything in hopes of the next bitcoin, and were able to do so easily because, the most important factor imo,
  3. Binance had just been created allowing for easy access to a ton of new projects on a stable and trusted exchange

Without that confluence of factors I don’t think we would’ve seen the absolutely ridiculous pumps and crashes, and ICX would’ve just looked like a project that was holding steady to a small market cap range for a few years while it was still in its infancy.

1 Like

It comes down to the idea that a blockchain project having merit and having a high valuation are not always correlated, and some of them shouldn’t have a high valuation. The deFi projects are really clever but there’s no reason an actual Uniswap or Sushiswap coin should be worth anything if we’re telling the lie to ourselves that this is all decentralized.

Like, the public being able to buy and own stocks isn’t quite the same as the workers owning the means of production but I can see how so it’s possible to be think its so in theory. Lol, “it’s possible to think so in theory.”

Ah, thanks for the info. Yeah, I imagine some coins got a bad rep after the 2018 crash, and the new stuff may be more appealing as a result. It’s good to know ICX is still going strong in terms of the project, I’ll definitely hold on to it then.

40k imminent?

CME ETH Futures start on Monday. That’s gonna be interesting.

To the best of my knowledge, I paid all of the tax I owed on crypto gains. That included checking their (shitty) records at the time for accuracy against my own records. I would be absolutely fucking irate if I got a letter like the one you’re describing.

Memory Lane:

1 Like

lol what year was this? I had never heard of it, but that hack is hilarious

ETA: i see from youtube archives it was circa 2012. Lol the early 20 teens were wild

I remember thinking at the time “so this is how it ends?” and not being that surprised that it would suffer such a fate.

lol why did nobody point this out?

wtf even happened there? i think i highlighted and typed over to change the phrasing but didnt highlight the full phrase to be replaced… or something?

that’s usually the cause of weird phrasing, IME. I just go back and ninja edit. Most of my posts end up being edited 5-10 times.

1 Like

You all were like, “Hmm, 6ix is having a stroke… Well, I hope it all works out for him.”

4 Likes