The Crypto Thread

Expressing disbelief in a transparently bullshit gesture to poor people in Africa is not racism.

Speculating/investing in crypto remains fine, but that justification is utter bullshit.

Maybe. I tested using an app called blockchain which is a private wallet

Saying poor people in Africa can’t acquire the knowledge or technical ability is 100% a racist trope. Take cryptocurrency out of it. If you use this trope, you should probably eliminate it from your life, because people can and will hear it as racist.

If you’re so opposed to doing some self-examination on that topic, you’re no different than the conservatives who ignore all the racist tropes they use and act insulted at the idea that they could be wrong on the topic.

3 Likes

Riverman didn’t say they weren’t capable or couldn’t. He expressed great skepticism that they would do those things to gain access to fake money.

Maybe some more careful reading, and assuming the best of people, is needed in your self reflection.

Also, never try to convince a man is wrong about something when their money depends on it obviously applies here

Wow

Haters Forego Short Positions (Non racist discussion is in the discord)

6 Likes

Man I’m not a hater at all but I’m going to call bullshit on the crypto helping the world bullshit. Crypto has helped the world about as much as beanie babies so far. Go ahead make that money but spare me the social justification that you need to not feel bad about it

Well … yeah but welcome to UP (was the same on 2p2) lol

1 Like

What % if international money transfers use crypto?

I doubt there is anyway good way to know that besides surveying people?

Seems like people really want to believe that the way they’re making money contributes to some greater good, when it almost certainly doesn’t.

Also like “it will transform banking for poor people because they only need cell phones” seems like a pretty dumb argument, can people not transfer actual money with cell phones? Why pay (almost certainly very high) fees to transfer fake money when eventually you have to interact with the banking system to turn it into real money? How about just transferring real money?

Also “it will transform banking for poor people because they only need cell phones” seems like a pretty dumb argument, can people not transfer actual money with cell phones? Why pay (almost certainly very high) fees to transfer fake money when eventually you have to interact with the banking system to turn it into real money? How about just transferring real money?

You might be shocked, but yes! It’s gone pretty well without the added fake money layer.

Well that’s not exactly true. 10% of BTC holders own > 99% of all BTC in the world. The only way they can sell their bags without tanking the market is new money coming in. That’s how you end up with Matt Damon telling normies to buy crypto on primetime TV.

I just kind of reflexively want to gouge my eyeballs out when I see shit like this.

https://twitter.com/cryptopunksbot/status/1492597270809821193?s=21

Serves zero utility and that amount of money could lift how many hundreds of family out of poverty?

1 Like

Whatever is used needs to be available on ordinary cell phones - not restricted to smartphones. Cell phone penetration in Africa is improving but is not the same as internet access - be that fixed or mobile.

And then there’s the issue of electricity.

Pointing out that Africa is under-developed is not a racist trope.

1 Like

Its not a more eyeball gouging use of money than 1000 other things in end game capitalism IMO, but yeah, idk where all the new money keeps coming from indefinitely.

We’ll know the new money has run dry when suzzer and Riverman buy an NFT.

2 Likes

Well you guys have convinced me. I’ve sold all my crypto and transferred the money to a savings account at my local credit union. I feel so much better now that I can rage from the sidelines about something that continues to happen regardless of how I personally feel about it.

3 Likes

It’s remarkable how thin-skinned you crypto guys are.

2 Likes