The Crypto Thread

So stake it - yes that can drain your account. But sell it or move it - no that cannot drain your account. Is that correct?

Also can you even delete something from your wallet? I thought you had to move it? Maybe he got tricked into thinking he was deleting somehow (on a shady website)?

I think the bug on OpenSea where some users unintentionally sold their NFTs at 1% of their value would interest Suzzer. That wasnā€™t exactly a scam since the users had approved a contract with OpenSea to allow it to sell their tokens. The contract just didnā€™t work as intended. OpenSea reimbursed the users in question, but only for the ā€œfloorā€ price of their NFTs (the lowest listed price in the same collection) and Iā€™m sure many of them arenā€™t happy about it. This happened to tokens worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I get a little concerned when people discuss these ā€œcontractsā€. Real world contracts are only like algorithms in a metaphorical sense. Sure, they reduce uncertainty in some circumstances but not in others, and disputes generally turn on intent, contemporaneous writings, the common practices and standards in the relevant field, and whatever will convince a judge that one side is correct. Interpreting real world contracts smuggles in the entirety of human understanding. (Analogous to the ā€œframe problemā€ in AI.)

Take something like the US Constitution (similar to a highly studied contract). Sometimes millions of words have been written explaining and interpreting various provisions. Much scholarship ends up about the nature of interpretation rather than about the contract itself.

The idea of any self-executing contract in any context, including for the delivery of a commodity on a given date, strikes me as an open invitation to disaster.

1 Like

Contracts on ethereum are just programs that allow you to execute transactions. That means they do exactly what they are programmed to do, although often the users (and sometimes even the programmers) donā€™t appreciate what that entails.

If I want to write a script for a movie called The QR Code, involving a malicious spirit that resides in an NFT, can I use an NFT to fund it?

Whatā€™s the saying about the only real specification of a program is the code?

Maybe better to form your a DAO.

This is antithetical to the whole project of crypto, which is to decentralize.

I made a similar suggestion on the Discord yesterday actually, about listings. Listing stuff for sale on OpenSea is very annoying, because while you can time-limit listings, you canā€™t cancel or re-price an existing listing without paying exorbitant gas fees. This is because using a blockchain, the idea of which is to create permanent records, for ephemeral things like listings is in my view a dubious use of the technology. But using centralized marketplace technology to handle listings and only connecting to the blockchain to confirm the transaction would necessitate user accounts, in order to stop people abusing and manipulating listings for their benefit, then weā€™re back to Know Your Customer and all that. Thatā€™s now how it works there; all OpenSea knows about me is my ethereum address. I connected my wallet to it and thatā€™s my profile, I didnā€™t have to add any more information.

In the view of the more idealistic crypto types, centralization and active management of userbases is how we ended up with titans like Paypal, Facebook etc etc having a stranglehold on the internet. They think that the key to breaking down this monopolization is to avoid centralized control whenever possible.

and yet you are the most prolific poster in this thread in the last 3 months. Literally people here trying to educate you on this topic have made the entire value of your cruise stonk retirement portfolio(not me, so far) since Biden became president. Maybe stop acting like you know anything and JAQing off. If you have real questions people will answer them but I agree with BJ that your entire premise today was both completely ignorant and racist. Which is worst than the usual stuff which is just ignorant.

I donā€™t know shit about scientology but I would probably be posting plenty in a scientology thread. Suzzer is a smart guy who knows a good deal about programming. If crypto bros canā€™t convince the suzzers of the world their broader project is imperaled. Iā€™m glad he posts a lot in this thread.

In general, I probably have more respect for the grifters and gamblers in crypto than the believers, who would be handing out libertarian tracts at universities and shopping malls in another life.

1 Like

Why donā€™t you just STFU with the personal attacks and the racist bullshit?

I know you take it as a personal attack when I question crypto. So you just think youā€™re responding in kind. But youā€™re wrong about that.

Actually I just realized Iā€™m giving you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe youā€™re just leading with the personal attack to be a dick.

Weā€™ve had a pretty good exchange for the last few dozen posts and Iā€™ve done exactly what you said Iā€™m not doing. Iā€™ve asked plenty of real questions, gotten real answers, and conceded that the line goes up guy might have been exaggerating about malware NFTs.

1 Like

Dude you literally proudly boast about investing in slave ships.

Lol yeah thatā€™s the big knock on cruise lines. Sorry I didnā€™t realize it was blood diamond money. Thanks for educating me. NFTs much better chance to life all of humanity out of bondage.

Like Iā€™m the only one on here who invests in anything other than free range quinoa farms. Youā€™re flailing now.

I mean Iā€™m not wrong. Cruise lines load the ships full of people working for nothing but crammed lower deck room and board and like $100/week. All from lower income nations.

Hope you can eek out a few week extra retirement!

What do you invest in?

Ah, didnā€™t take that long to get to the youā€™re a racist defense of crypto. Does anyone think thatā€™s effective rhetoric in any way. It just makes the speaker look a bit pathetic. Congratulations on your gainz bros. Iā€™m sure you realize that turning a profit in a Ponzi scheme is not even an argument for its soundness.

Have zero in cruise lines or other deplorable dogshit. This is the you are the baddie moment suzzer.

If you have anything in crypto youā€™re probably enabling about every inhumane and criminal enterprise in the world. But then again itā€™s not an investment, itā€™s a ā€œcurrencyā€.

And for you dumbfucks like witchata, itā€™s well known that professional athletes are the biggest fish investors out there and most end up broke. Is pointing out reality racist, or do we have to artificially police speech and only mention the NHL so as not to give offense. Just take your L and shut the fuck up.

Yeah because Iā€™ve shown so much racism over the years. I hid it so well all these years by arguing like hell for racial justice issues. But the cat is out of the bag now. I implied NBA players might not be the best to audit their own smart contract source code. Totally racist!

Oh man that is such a good point!