The Crypto Thread

Yeah I know how goofy made a ton which is why I used the poker book analogy.

Ive read some dumb poker books but I got one thing out of them which was worth it.

Anyway I didn’t post the video nor was I the first, second or third person itt to mention it. So please don’t turn this into suzzer vs the thread again.

I just thought goofy arguing with hueh’s summary of the video was odd and got sucked in.

It makes exactly as much sense as an expensive watch or a $5000 handbag, which, I mean, is none sense, but those industries aren’t going anywhere either.

2 Likes

NSFWish

1 Like
1 Like

You guys say the same thing over and over, and the world keeps on going.

1 Like

What they’re trying to tell you in dumb poker book terms, is that Goofy is the Lion, and that other dude is the Mouse.

There is no NFT explicitly dumber than this

Or think about personalised licence plates I’m not sure how it works in the US but over here people pay thousands or tens of thousands (or more) to have the back of their car read BOB1 rather than BT62 TO3 or whatever. They have “exclusive ownership” of the right for their car to display that pointless and sad image and they’re willing to pay through the nose for it. Is that any less stupid than paying to display your $1,000,000 ape every single time you post?

I wonder how many times this image has been posted on this site. This was 3 years ago. That you still remember it is awesome – the fact that you’re still thinking about it, in my opinion, says this piece of art made a huge impression. That’s what art does.

1 Like

Same for NFTs though right? Everyone has an opinion and talks about them, they’re on late night talk shows and everything. Riverman has been posting about how dumb bitcoin is for 10 years so far.

Just looked it up because that seems insane. Vanity plates in New Hampshire cost like $40 annually.

NFT, crypto, “art” … I think we get too hung up on words. Most of this thread lately is really about the labels on a thing. “Currency” probably isn’t the best word for crypto. Some people have a narrow definition of art … I mean, bananas aside, some people don’t think photography is art.

Looks like I can get GYC adjacent numbers for a few hundred

https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.uk/search/results.html?search=GYC&action=resultsdateless&pricefrom=0&priceto=&prefixmatches=&currentmatches=&limitprefix=&limitcurrent=&limitauction=&searched=true&openoption=&language=en&super=GYC&super_pricefrom=0&super_priceto=

That banana lives in some people’s heads. It’s a hugely successful piece of art, in my opinion.

2 Likes

Amazing.

The only one I ever wanted was U SN0 FLKE but then I figured it wasn’t worth getting my car all scratched up or getting shot.

More than a million dollar ape?

Vanity plates cost somewhere in the range of $30-$50 per year, depending on the state. That’s a far cry from tens of thousands or $1 million for an ape. Plus, you are required to have a license plate and are paying a registration fee, anyway, regardless of what characters are on the plate. You don’t need an internet avatar.

EDIT: If someone wants to pay $1 million for an avatar, more power to them. It’s just not exactly comparable to a vanity plate.

The banana (title: Comedian) was actually done in an edition of 3, and 2 sold I think. … I’m not sure the banana and the ape are the same, but I know they aren’t different.

People pay millions on the secondary market for rare vanity plates.

It looks like in some states you have to buy the car and get the license plate for free. For $20 million you can get a Volvo with the New York license plate “New York.”

www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/01/28/facebook-cryptocurrency-diem/

A popular mantra in Silicon Valley is “fail fast.” It took Facebook less than three years to fail in its high-profile cryptocurrency project.

Facebook’s shuttering of the project came in response to internal clashes over its direction and sustained opposition in Washington, according to four people familiar with the effort who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe sensitive matters.

Maybe? We’re still talking and arguing about the banana years later. Will anyone remember bored apes when everyone’s moved on to the next trendy internet tchotchke?