The Crypto Thread

I miss the good ol’ days

https://unstuckpolitics.com/t/take-me-out-to-the-blockchain-digital-sports-collectibles/3908/33?u=jwax13

https://unstuckpolitics.com/t/take-me-out-to-the-blockchain-digital-sports-collectibles/3908/35?u=jwax13

4 Likes

I mean, props to you for being mega skeptical and still making bags on it. Pays to be open-minded.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/McDonalds/status/1485726032967704582

5 Likes

After Thorne Melcher lost her job as a software engineer in February, bills started piling up. Her girlfriend, Mandy Musselwhite, was able to cover a few expenses selling her artwork, but the couple quickly fell behind on their mortgage payments.

Melcher and Musselwhite own a homestead outside of Atlanta. Not only did they spend most of their savings to afford the $300,000 property in 2019, but it includes a farmhouse where they’ve raised six ducks, two geese and other animals.

“I knew we had to think of something,” Musselwhite, 25, tells CNBC Make It. “We really didn’t want to lose this property. We love it here. The animals love it here.”

Fearful of foreclosure, the couple co-created Dastardly Ducks, a collection of 10,000 cartoon duck nonfungible tokens (NFTs) generated by code with unique combinations of over 100 different traits, in order to raise money. The couple launched it Wednesday and it sold out in less than six hours, earning them just under $120,000.

“Sad Duck” from the Dastardly Ducks NFT collection that Thorne Melcher and Mandy Musselwhite co-created.

Courtesy of Thorne Melcher and Mandy Musselwhite

“We saved our farm by selling cartoon ducks. It was like a fever dream,” Melcher, 33, says. “They immediately started going so fast. I couldn’t sleep until they were all gone.”

Although the couple wasn’t already known in the NFT space, a small group of supporters helped generate interest in the project.

It was perfect timing too. The couple owed $35,587 in mortgage back-payments and had to drop off a check to their lawyer on Thursday, or they would’ve been expected to appear in court on Friday. But Musselwhite was able to hand over a $40,000 check instead, putting them ahead on their payments.

2 Likes

I minted the ducks :|

2 Likes

im assuming this recent crash is in relation to the news that Biden admin is looking into “risks and opportunities” in crypto? market predicting more risks than opps?

It seemed to be directly related to all the other markets crashing. But today crypto has decided to decouple for awhile and recover while stocks very much don’t.

Line goes up, line goes down. You can’t explain that.

4 Likes

Great time to buy. Or sell.

6 Likes

John Lennon’s eldest son Julian is selling several pieces of music history from his personal collection.

However, he will keep the physical items as each piece of memorabilia will be sold as a non-fungible token (NFT).

selling various pieces of musical history … however, he will keep the physical items.

So not really selling then :roll_eyes:

Imagine no possessions

4 Likes

This is the new “gofundme page because I got cancer”. God Bless America.

1 Like

Sitting next to a crypto enthusiast who described his crypto investments as a bet against the government.

Hearing a lot of buzz words from this guy, but I’m not sure he understands how to apply them outside of crypto.

He said he sold btc at 49k and is waiting until it goes under 30k to buy the dip.

Has fighting the Fed ever worked in the past?

No … but it might work for us!

1 Like

One of the beautiful things about the decentralization of Bitcoin is that ten people can have ten completely different reasons for investing in it.

get rich quick
get rich quickly
quickly get rich
get rich really quick
get really rich quick
get really rich really quick…

3 Likes

This has been the Libertarian game plan for the past 30 years or so: stock up on physical gold, and then when MONEY PRINTER GO BRR causes hyperinflation, you’ll be sitting pretty with a big pile of gold. Only now it’s Bitcoin instead of gold or silver. The 2p2 silver thread was full of that kind of talk.

What percentage of Bitcoin out there is owned by people who haven’t made arrangements so that if they die that Bitcoin is lost forever?

Probably a pretty decent amount…
Bitcoin gonna get more and more scarce over time due to lost coins.

That’s why you need wallet pass phrases tattoo’d all over you prison break style.

3 Likes

I have a whisper in the back of my mind of writing a movie script about a plot to blow up a gathering of crypto bros in an attempt to manipulate the market by creating scarcity.

1 Like