The Crypto Thread

Most of the games are promising a free-to-play element, but it’s not clear yet how that will work in practice. Like if there’s just super basic stuff you can do for free and the only way to do more is pay hundreds or thousands for NFT’s then that’s just bringing real world fucked up inequality to video games. This all has the potential to end up being very dystopian.

Most of the world lives in poverty, trapped at home by an unrelenting global pandemic where the only way they can earn income is by grinding online games for meager earnings, most of which have to be paid right back to the 0.1% who own all the game assets and rent them out to players. Launch date Q3 2022!

It’s not my idea. Dozens of game dev’s are already months ahead of you.

Meh, you could exchange goods and services in exchange for crypto without using USD.

It currently exists in defi kingdoms.

Regarding NFTs for games…games go offline all the time! No company is paying for a server for a game no one is using.

None of these games will be online in 20 years.

Many of them are set up as DAO’s where the players collectively own the game itself.

In the case of MGT-like collectable card games they can continue to exist long after the original dev’s are gone since it will be trivially easy to set up new servers and new variants players can bring their existing collections to.

I expect there to eventually be open NFT standards so you can bring assets you own from own metaverse to another. Seems like that wouldn’t be very difficult for voxel-based games like Sandbox, Voxies, Mobox, etc.

Scratch the last one. I don’t think Mobox is voxels.

It won’t work like how ubisoft is doing it.

It absolutely wouldn’t work for a CCG imo. Mtg, pokemon and yugioh are still the big 3. You can maybe put hearthstone in there as well. Everything else dies. Without the WOW backing hearthstone would have as well. That’s like nothing new in 20 years!

1 Like

I expect most of this stuff is going to fail. I’m paying attention and throwing a bit of money at it because I think there’s a chance some of it will succeed. Imagine investing a couple hundred bucks in some company called Activision because they were doing something with that new home video gaming fad back in 1979.

But the only thing worth anything from that time is mint condition, sealed shit. No one actually really plays NES games or anything anymore.

Even AAA games that cost 100+ million to put out have a popularity shelf life of weeks to months these days, if they’re successful at all.

1 Like

Still no love for Gwent. :(

1 Like

Lol

Is it too late to get in on Gala , or should it be avoided?
thxs

Thought about mentioning Gwent because I’ve at least heard of it but I have no idea how big the player base is.

1 Like

These NFTs as games platforms are mostly insane Ponzi schemes. The loot one is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard of.

1 Like

Try and find the most expensive item ever in a game with a massive, dedicated player base. WoW, Diablo, Everquest, etc. These valuations are not tethered to reality in any way.

Virtual space club sold for $635,000. No, really - CNET.

$635k is highest I found in 1 minute search.

Beanie Mania is on HBO Max. It is about the Beanie Baby bubble. The most striking thing about it isn’t how dumb it is (it is dumb) but that the sharps made literally millions off of it. As they did in the dot com bubble, the housing bubble, the poker boom, etc.

The lesson to me isn’t that bubbles are dumb and should be avoided. It’s that finding ways to exploit the irrationality of it is a pretty easy way to make lots of money. Sure we can debate the morality of felting poker donks, sniping NFTs, camping out at Wal-Mart for Panini packs, etc. There is something kinda gross about all of those things no doubt. But those bubbles are going to happen and someone is going to be there to clean up.

2 Likes