The Crypto Thread

Thanks for the link, I didn’t know about that.

Sort of, but not really. The boilerplate has an upgrade function –

Smart contracts in Ethereum are immutable by default. Once you create them there is no way to alter them, effectively acting as an unbreakable contract among participants.
However, …
we have built contract upgrades directly into our plugins. This allows us to change the contract code, while preserving the state, balance, and address .

Can like anybody tell me how this doesn’t break everything?

@anon3530961 and the rest of you guys making money on your gambools here – I’m happy for you, really am. But from a technical perspective the whole space is fucking clownshoes.

The squid game NFT? I don’t think that’s related to the token - at least I hope not. It hasn’t rugged yet.

https://playsquidnft.com/safe

Some are dead.

1 Like

They did and burned some at first. But then they realized that gas to burn all the losers would be more than prize. they proposed a few alternatives (including new contract with metadata that showed alive/dead; doing a polygon mint). This option won the vote.

Gas prices are too damn high!

1 Like

SQUID contract is here:

https://bscscan.com/address/0x87230146E138d3F296a9a77e497A2A83012e9Bc5#code

Was going to inline it but it’s too many characters.

This is true of anything, though. That’s why the contracts are public on the chain. If people are buying obvious pump and dump scam coins without reviewing the contracts, then lol them.

It’s like using open source software. If you can’t evaluate it yourself you wait for others to do that work before you run it. You need to use some common sense heuristics. Forum software developed by one of the founders of Stack Exchange that has a thriving community of users and contributors? Yeah, I’ll install that. Dodgy project on GitHub with one developer that promises things too good to be true? Don’t think so.

Sure, but there’s a difference between trusting your government to collect its taxes and pay its bonds and trusting anonymous people on systems created explicitly to evade any accountability to hold your money. Wasn’t the entire point of blockchains to make trust irrelevant?

So I gotta be able to code to invest now otherwise lol me? Oops! didn’t catch the exploit in 10k lines or whatever of maybe intentionally obfuscatory code, guess I deserve to get robbed? Look at the contract linked above, can you tell me how I’m going to get robbed buying this token?

I mean, I guess I don’t disagree. It’s a lawless space. There may be some potential utility, but I’m struggling to see how it doesn’t eventually collapse under the weight of all the scams.

No, you don’t need to look at the contracts to feel safe just like you don’t need to read the lolEmber for Discourse to trust this forum’s front end or the Linux kernel source code to have faith in our virtual server. You just need to have good enough heuristics to get you to the right decision.

You can do the same in the crypto world. Binance and Coinbase have been around long enough and have large enough userbases that you can feel reasonably confident they aren’t going to steal your money and that they aren’t listing shitcoins for you to trade. Bitcoin and Ethereum have enough of a pedigree that you should be able to trust they aren’t clever scams.

Squid Game happened in another world entirely with decentralized exchanges and non-custodial wallets. You don’t accidentally stumble into that world, you have to go looking for it, and there are red flags everywhere. Nobody who bought SQUID thought they were investing in a sensible, long-range project. They were trying to ride an obvious pump and dump, hoping they could cash out before it all came crashing down. The number of innocent people who lost money on that scam is very close to zero.

2 Likes

I don’t totally disagree, but didnt a lot of us get fucked/inconvenienced by Full Tilt using the same heuristics?

Yeah, and that’s a pretty good analogy. But a lot of people lost money with Enron and WorldCom too. Those are inherent risks in any situation where you allow another entity to have custody of your money.

That doesn’t have to be the case with crypto though and there are good security arguments for not using a centralized exchange to remove that risk. However, they rely on a person being able to properly secure their own wallet themselves, which many have failed at.

If this whole thing succeeds - and I am far from a true believer that it will - I’d expect there to eventually be more regulations in place and probably something similar to FDIC insurance.

1 Like

only sold a little bit instead of most of it but nailed it sigh

stonks next?

If I liquidate everything right this minute I’ll have still made 12% in less than a month. notbad.jpg But wat do? Reddit says HODL :moneybag:

At least I had the good luck to stay off eth when it was at ATH. whew

:(

Avalanche keeps going up

well you got me, no idea why

1 Like

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1460654019970543625?t=Hiv7tCUr3k0KwogKDyJfnQ&s=19

11 Likes

This is a nursery-school-level crash in the crypto universe.

ETH began the year under $1000.
BTC under $30,000.

Clear Eyes, Diamond Hands, Can’t Lose.

2 Likes

Onion

Lifetime is not as long as it used to be.

1 Like

sure but there’s no resistance so if starts really trending down it’s gonna go down pretty quick

not much up either of course

also if we’re at the beginning of the old style crypto crash you don’t wanna hodl

I follow Bob Loukas on twitter who is a big fan of cycles. Other than the obvious 4-year one, he also is quite adamant about a 60-day cycle (between local lows). So far it’s been proving to be quite reliable, the previous local low in September he called to the day a month ahead of time. At the time I sold a small percentage of my portfolio to buy back in the dip. This time I sold ~10% last week, and aim to buy back in around ~$53-55k for BTC and $3700-3900 for ETH.

Obviously anything can happen (hence why I only sold 10%), but so far I’m cruising through this dip. I also fully expect we’ll be back in business on our way to a new ATH after the conclusion of this dip, with the bottom expected at the end of this week or early next week.

1 Like