The Crypto Thread

Like Tesla

Yep definitely a bear market with the nocoiners crawling out. For the record if you’ve known about this stuff for 10 years, own nothing, and continue to spread nonsense (btc is good for illegal stuffzzz!!) you’re never going to buy any. It’s never going to be “bad enough” for you to buy because you haven’t done enough research to understand why you should.

You’re like someone “waiting to see” how the vaccines play out. There’s never going to be an indicator that’s sufficient for you. You don’t even know what that would look like.

Which is…?

turn your one dollar into two dollars

2 Likes

That’s why I asked the question about traditional investing earlier. Nobody here is a diehard cryptobro (BTC replace USD etc) so what are we really talking about here?

p.s. I mean, blockchain is amazing and elegant from a mathematical perspective, none other than the esteemed 3b1b made a video about it years back,

but that’s separate.

1 Like

Store of value?

I am pretty much a buy and HODLer when it comes to crypto but there hasn’t ever been a crypto cycle where we saw a sharp 40-50% drop and then an immediate recovery have we? It’s normally the big drop and then an additional slow bleed out until the next bull cycle right? The last two I remember was of course 2017 where it hit 20kish, dipped to 12k within days and then bled out to 3xxx over the course of a year or two. Previously in late 2014 we saw it hit break 1k, a sharp drop to $400 and then bled out to below $100 over the course of a year and a half.

I guess I’m wondering if/why this time has any reason to be different? I own a reasonable amount of crypto and am wondering if I should avoid the bleed out phase this time.

Same as it ever was.

1 Like

We’ve seen it every time, but this is the biggest drop ever in an equivalent timeframe.

Lol you haven’t read my posts itt. You’re thinking of the market cycle cheat sheet:

I think we’re obviously at the “first sell off” part but the important thing to realize is that even though it’s followed this cycle 3 times before,

it doesn’t mean it will follow it again (so I suppose when we look in hindsight it won’t really matter in one sense). Maybe the sell off was too much selling. It gets confusing when people say “top of this cycle” vs “top of the cycle” because more accurate would be “is there going to be a cycle this time (and if so are we at the top of it)”. I also posted this earlier:

I posted a video or two from one of the crypto youtubers I watch, the only one whose technical analysis I find interesting (because he’s a permabear basically), but a recent video is the only time I found myself disagreeing with him strongly. Even though he called this exact scenario (basically he’s always been right) he tried to show the market cycle and lay it over the price chart, even though it doesn’t fit right now for the top (and he kinda quickly glossed over the non-match in the video lol). It fits perfectly for the runs in the past, especially 2017, comically so,

but if you take the middle of 2017,

which is this on the first chart,

it looks a whole lot like now,

The market cycles repeat down to the 1min micro level, but the problem I have with the theory of perpetual cycles on the macro level is that there is a finite top, that is, the amount of money in the world, and a one million dollar bitcoin sounds less exciting if it comes along with a hyperinflationary money supply.

p.s. tl;dr don’t get rekt

4 Likes

To quote noted gentleman and scholar Mike Cernovich, hoo boy, wait until you hear about the petrodollar.

Like ok, when I go to Canada and use maple leaves to buy some syrup and hire a beaver tour guide to show me around town, I’m thinking about it in USD and calculating the leaf:dollar exchange rate in my head but that doesn’t mean it’s not all real.

3 Likes

That happened for most of 2019, and then again during the covid crash. Somehow the no coiners end up too distracted spiking the football to ever actually pull the trigger. Cept they don’t play for either team, they just ran on to the field and declared victory. They go away really quick and the rest of us go back to playing.

If you’re not comfy with black box correlations then BTC is probably not for you. You can try to double blind study memetics all day but you’re never going to rationalize why bitcoin “is”, empirically. The important thing is that it is. And it’s spreading. Probably for a long time. There’s very few people with the capacity to synthesize whether the price should go up or down, but that’s sort of irrelevant for now.

3 Likes

Canada is sort of using you as an avatar for a common type of person, and tbf you’re right, it’s not exactly fitting.

We’re talking about the type of people who when bitcoin crashed in 2017-18 they somehow really wanted to believe that everybody who had bitcoin bought it at the exact top and held it down to 4k or whatever. Even if that makes zero sense, in that it’s literally impossible for people to do that during parabolic price action even if they wanted to, in fact the price goes parabolic both ways precisely because that isn’t happening.

Like, nobody bought the runup, the price just magically appeared at 20k, and then likewise it magically fell even though nobody sold. When a reasonably intelligent person chooses being stupid in order to be derisive, that’s some real uncouth shit right there.

2 Likes

I hold a substantial amount of BTC and I’m a pretty big skeptic, like I think it’s basically useless, even though I’m sure blockchain has some sort of future. I tend towards Krugman’s view:

i.e. that it’s a cult and therefore can persist indefinitely even in the absence of any reason for it to be worth anything. The modern globalized world lends itself to cults because everyone can always find a group of people out there who agree with them. Tesla is like that as well.

1 Like

I’m somewhat curious why you think traditional investing is unethical, but even more curious why you would consider crypto any more ethical. It amounts to taking money out of other people’s pockets and torching vast amounts of fossil fuels to do it.

I think this is an outdated view of Tesla, and may be an outdated view of crypto as well. BTC specific, I don’t know.

1 Like

DAAAAAAAAN

CRYPTO

IS

BACK!

6 Likes

These are my two biggest problems. Especially the latter. Trying to convince yourself that crypto is some kind of net good while it burns fossil fuels at the rate of entire giant countries for no conceivable real world benefit outside of passing money back and forth (usually in a straight poor to rich pipeline) has to be a mighty stretch mentally