The Crypto Thread

oh lol my bad (our/their bad to be specific) but much like the royal you i used with master that wasn’t actually a why aren’t YOU shorting crypto lol duh eerybody know you aren’t sharp enough for that royal or otherwise lol

you

wait i should restate my assumptions

maybe that’s precisely WHY that happened

how is a chatbot gonna pay you for a losing bet lol it aint got no hand to send a bank wire transfer

Your timing won’t be off if you don’t overleverage yourself (refer to my previous post) but come on buddy, what timing are we talking about? The heat death of the universe?

HAHA KNEW CRYPTO WAS GOING TO ZERO BUT GOOD THING CRUISE STONKING ARE STONKING IN THIS INFININTE COLD VOID

This is true, but it’s also true for any short. Almost tautologically, if you think the price is so absurd that it’s worth shorting, there’s really no logical reason why it can’t become even absurder.

If you keep the position small and you aren’t in a stock where the available shares are limited, the only real constraint is mental - will you be able to watch that short position lose money at the same time that it becomes a larger and larger portion of your portfolio.

All that being said, I think DASH is a bad short (at least for me) at these levels primarily because of its overall market cap. $25 billion or whatever is small enough where its conceivable that someone huge like Amazon or Facebook might step in and acquire it just because. At $100 billion, I think the risk of that was remote.

2 Likes

Because student loans are never dischargeable and there is no statute of limitations, personal finance gurus recommend retaining student loan payoff paperwork for the rest of your life. Apart from this paperwork, proof of your payoff just resides in some centralized database where some bad actor could have an incentive to mess with the data.

• Does anyone have a good IT solution for this problem?
  • Does anyone think this is a possible application for blockchain tech?
  • If yes, any explanation as to how it would work on a high-level?

I really enjoy the steady stream of articles about the lack of regulations and protection that can never seem to find a single bag holder complaining about it.

So, who made money in California gold rush? It wasn’t the miners, it was the pants and shovel sellers.

I get the sense that a lot of crypto companies were not only servicing customers but were snorting massive amounts of their own supply. Like, you can get legit rich selling or hosting miners. No need to take derivative positions where if the market dips you are likely to fail.

There are likely some very nice opportunities in the hosting-miners space atm, and gonna be some good deals at bankruptcy sales in a year.

“I never thought that a publicly traded company would gamble my money away,” Cosey said. “That’s the risk that I didn’t understand.”

"“I was dumb enough to trust them,” he said.

Like many others, the Chicago man said he had been drawn to Voyager because it was publicly traded but also offered a high yield on the coins he held. He believed his money to be safe with Voyager since the company so often touted its low-risk profile and FDIC insurance. Distrustful of traditional big banks, the Chicago man thought a publicly traded crypto financial company would be more transparent.

“I was wrong,” he said. “Voyager was no different and actually much worse.”"

Ok, I will admit this article does have somewhat compelling stories of loss, but even these people still don’t seem to be asking for consumer protections and regulations even though they’re exactly the sort of people who need them. Also, this guy:

“It’s ruined me,” said a 25-year-old financial adviser in the Chicago area. “I have to start my whole life again.”

There’s at least three different Onion headlines in that quote.

6 Likes

haha every 20 something poker pro from 2010:

6 Likes

If it was labeled FDIC insured that seems pretty shady. Other than that, these companies absolutely disclosed what customers were getting into. You can read my earlier posts in this thread which were based on just reading the websites of these kind of companies, the risks should have been known by investors. Zero sympathy for these people, made a high risk investment and lost.

Apparently, this is a real ad?

https://twitter.com/SimplyBeverages/status/1536705334940688385?s=20&t=zOoQKnDY7awb1vR49lPRkA

Businesses disclosed information that literally advertised their insolvency.

Not a big fan of the “unsophisticated investors deserve to lose their retirement funds” takes.

5 Likes

From what I have read Voyager strongly implied that USD with them was FDIC insured, when in fact it just meant that the bank that they dealt with was FDIC insured.

1 Like

99% of the advertisements I see are scams. What does that say about Google/Twitter/etc?

1 Like
2 Likes