The crazy situation with my neighbors (very verbose)

Lots of background here but it’s all relevant imo.

I have lived in my house for ten years. When I moved in and met my neighbors to the east of my house I immediately found them odd. The family consisted of the father, we’ll call him Kevin (all names changed); the mother Svetlana (Russian, heavy accent); the children Anatoly and Sergei; and Svetlana’s parents who are Russian and don’t speak English. In my first encounter with them Kevin told me he was from Boston, which is where I am from, but I detected a slight unidentifiable accent. I said something about the Red Sox winning the world series and he seemed confused. I also mentioned one of my kids playing tee ball and he didn’t know what tee ball was. I asked him where he was from originally and he stuck with Boston. Odd, but OK he doesn’t want me to know where’s he’s from for some reason, whatever.

Anatoly and Sergei were totally unsupervised (note to long-time OOT readers: yes, these are the Russian kids next door). At like age six they were setting off firecrackers in the street. They also once got their hands on some dry ice and were making explosions in their pool. Again, whatever, differing parenting styles right?

A few years ago we started getting misdelivered mail with a very unusual name on it with their address. Around this time I also saw Kevin a few blocks from our houses, dressed to go out for a run (the whole getup), getting into an Uber. So that was weird. I can’t remember when it became clear, but at some point I Googled the unusual name on the misdelivered mail we kept getting and realized that Kevin had changed his name. The guy went from a name like “Kevin Anderson” to “Lamborghini Onassis”. That’s the closest approximation I can give of the name he chose without telling you the name, but trust me it’s very close. It’s absolutely bonkers. So then it became clear that Kevin (Lamborghini?) didn’t live in the house anymore. Also I ran into Svetlana a couple of times at different times - morning, evening, etc, and she was clearly drunk at each of these times.

So then she posted an “ad” on our Nextdoor page looking for people to rent rooms in her house. What I’m going to say now is going to make me sound like an asshole, but this is a pretty upscale neighborhood. Renting rooms in your house is pretty unusual. But I figure at this point that Kevin peaced out, decided he was no longer married suburban dad Kevin Anderson and was now Lamborghini Onassis, international man of mystery, and that things were very rough for Svetlana and the rest of the family.

Right after this a weird guy starts playing basketball at a hoop at the end of our cul-de-sac something like 8 hours a day, basically right next to our house. Literally he would shoot hoops, alone, for hours and hours and hours. Sometimes starting at 6AM, sometimes ending at 11PM. It was super-weird and annoying because it was “thump thump thump” all damn day and night. I correctly deduced that he was renting a room. Also, I (it turns out correctly) felt like there was something wrong with the guy, based on the basketball and just the overall vibe. So I never went over to suggest he take it to one of the two parks in easy walking distance basketball courts at them.

About a month or so ago I came home around 6PM and there were cops everywhere in my neighborhood. Entrance to the cul-de-sac was blocked by four cruisers and there was a police helicopter overhead. Hard to explain but there were also a ton of cops in front of my house as well. I freaked out because my kids were home alone, but they were oblivious. Anyway, “basketball guy” had gone crazy in Svetlana’s house, smashed up a bunch of stuff, and beat his own head against a mirror. He was in cuffs on the back of a cruiser, covered in blood. I learned this from Svetlana, who was absolutely shitfaced when I talked to her.

OK, finally, we have now on multiple occasions noticed the younger sibling, Sergei, driving around/in-and-out our neighborhood alone. He’s the same age as my older child, so 14 or 15. We know that because they were in school together and one of my kids follows him on instagram and his 14th birthday party was within the last year. Also on his instagram are many pictures of him with guns in their house and firing guns at a range.

Today I see one of their cars out on the street is super-smashed up. Whether that’s Svetlana’s or Sergei’s doing doesn’t really matter, it concerns me either way.

I feel bad about whatever life cirumstances have contributed to this, but I’m concerned about the driving, the guns, and the basic breakdown that appears to be happening roughly 20 feet from my home. Not sure exatly what I’d tell the police, I guess they’d be most interested in the driving situation. But they should probably know there are guns in the house being handled by unsupervised children.

I welcome any thoughts anyone has, thanks for reading!

6 Likes

You need to change her name to Svetlana in para one.

Sorry for your troubles, it sounds quite unsettling. I’ll let the yanks here who know what the score is over there advise you on what to do.

Thank god we have strict gun laws is all I can say.

1 Like

100% let the police know about the guns and you might as well throw the driving in too.

Still reading but I need to guess Ferrari Kennedy as real name, for the record.

2 Likes

OMG same. Or maybe Callas.

If gun evidence is on Facebook I think it would be entirely reasonable to provide that evidence to the police. (Although you should not be using Facebook wth!)

To me that is the largest and most legitimate concern at this point. If the police interview you can bring up the car stuff and whatever else. I wouldn’t report a laundry list of complaints about a neighbor to the police. Might make it more likely they just think you live next to Rand Paul.

Ferrari Bouvier?

McLaren Niarchos?

Using Onassis was a bit of a red herring. His new last name is very “Greek shipping magnate” but it is not related to Jackie in any way.

My wife is now very nervous about me calling the police because she’s afraid they’ll know it was us.

1 Like

Cadillac Niarchos?

Apparently Crime Stoppers has a website where you can submit anonymous tips and even upload files. Much of his (the guns and the driving) are documented on instagram so it should be pretty easy to submit.

Scissor Doors Aristotle from parts unknown.

1 Like

Situation sucks but I think obviously do something > do nothing. I’m curious what the lawyers here would do.

Legit concern from your wife but also possible your kids give something away?

They must have plenty of people who don’t like them. The odds of you getting blamed for a call to cops or crime stoppers is less than you think.

You should call child protective services.

? How so. There are kids with a perpetually drunk mom who are playing with guns and driving cars. They should not be in that environment.

1 Like

I drove my parents cars without them knowing when I was this age. If anything it bothers me MORE than the mother knows (I know she knows). Also, I grew up in a relatively sleepy small town, which is not the situation where we currently live.

My first immediate selfish concern is that the kid is going to hit me or one of my cars. Obviously he’s not covered under any auto insurance and I think I can assume their asset situation is not good. So if this 14 year old hits me or my car I’m screwed. I don’t like the fact he’s in there playing with guns but I understand people have differing feelings on this. BUT again this is LA and our houses are 20 feet from each other - something goes wrong with a gun it’s not out of the question that we’re in the line of fire.

Calling CPS does not just automatically result in kids being taken away. But this needs a professional evaluation and a record to be created.

Corvette Latsis. See something say something. Call the FBI. More importantly give some clues, what country is the car made in?

1 Like