The Crapto Thread

very doubtful, most people are quick to point out their wins and reluctant to state their losses

2 Likes

I imagine most people who got in towards the end of 2021 or after arenā€™t up much or may be down.

This year has been a minefield.

and i imagine theres the same type of rungood/variance in NFTs like there is in poker. so if 20 UPers got in late 2021 when the edges were small its almost impossible they were all winners.

Totally agree. That being said if 20 UPers got in summer of 2021 probably all of them would be significantly up. At worst 19 out of 20.

Yup, was thinking about Vegas and the fucking Mirage in Feb ā€˜22. Now Iā€™m thinking about the Ameristar in Gary IN :grimacing:

6 Likes

I mean I have said it a few times but i am big time down from the peak. Not sure how anyone couldnā€™t be except maybe Sven trading his ass off. It sucks. Iā€™m down more from the peak than you are if it makes you feel any better :sweat_smile:

I think I roughly broke even on NFTs in the end. I might have won a bit. I definitely won denominated in ETH but maybe not in fiat. I would have lost without the tubbycats scame that goofy pulled for us. I was still learning as I went (lessons such as ā€œdo not try to flip manksā€) in a market that started to tank not long after I started.

2 Likes

The otherdeeds land sale was really a line or demarcation in my mind. Before that there was still quite a bit of freeish money. After that it had been absolutely brutal across the board.

https://twitter.com/goldman/status/1592954480504770561

3 Likes

I have no idea what that is so I guess I joined after that.

It was April of this year so I think you were before. Things werenā€™t great in early 2022 but there were still some spots that were good. When was tubcats? Like Jan 2022?

Oh OK the opposite then, I think Iā€™d given up on new mints by then. I bought my first NFT in mid-late Jan. Tubbies were late Feb.

Pretty sure the last new mint I bought was everyoneā€™s favourite project, SHADOW QUEST, feat. Genius Devs. FIGHT FOR $HONR!*

* may not be a real onchain shitcoin

When Iā€™m on my deathbed and someone asks me if I have any regrets itā€™s going to be missing out on Tubby Cats

3 Likes

Oh itā€™s real, and itā€™s glorious.*

1,000,000 $HONR = ~$4.

Itā€™s already below 2000 everything is fine.

https://twitter.com/kadhim/status/1593222595390107649?s=46&t=Ry2OoPN958zOJYmqDh9cdA

:vince3:

Read the thread

8 Likes

FTX says the ā€œfair valueā€ of all the crypto that FTX international holds is a mere $659!

Edit: I guess those are thousands actually but thatā€™s still basically 0.

Nah Iā€™m down too. I think Iā€™ve posted about it before. I was never up (thanks HOTM and Shadow Quest). I ended up binking a decent win so Iā€™m not down that much in ETH terms but down in USD terms for sure.

One of the semi-forgotten about tragedies of the 2 year crypto downswing

ā€œSince Bukele bought the first digital tokens on September 6 of last year, they have lost 67% of their value.ā€

"according to Ricardo Castaneda, an economist at the Central American Institute of Fiscal Studies (ICEFI). ā€œThis has a very high opportunity cost for a country like El Salvador, because it represents, for example, almost the entire budget of the Ministry of Agriculture in a country where half the population suffers from food insecurity,ā€

" In an article published on November 6 in a digital publication called Bitcoin Magazine , Bukele attacked his critics and argued that ā€œit is falseā€ that the country has incurred losses, since it has not sold its digital currency. ā€œFor those who do not understand, the real question is not whether other countries will adopt bitcoin, but when,ā€ said the president. ā€œWe are at a very early stage of this paradigm shift, and that is why common-sense action is controversial; there are many people who applaud it but many more detractors.ā€

ā€œThe Bukele government has an international debt payment of $667 million due in January, and analysts believe that the Central American country could go into default.ā€

The entire document (linked above) is great. Random highlights:

• The new CEO, John Ray, seems irritable! "I am the Chief Executive Officer of the above-captioned debtors and debtors-in-possession (collectively, the ā€œDebtorsā€), having accepted this position in the early morning hours of November 11, 2022.

• Heā€™s a serious guy with a very appropriate background:

I have been the Chief Restructuring Officer or Chief Executive Officer in several of the largest corporate failures in history. I have supervised situations involving allegations of criminal activity and malfeasance (Enron). I have supervised situations involving novel financial structures (Enron and Residential Capital) and cross-border asset recovery and maximization (Nortel and Overseas Shipholding).

:vince1:

Nearly every situation in which I have been involved has been characterized by defects of some sort in internal controls, regulatory compliance, human resources and systems integrity.

:vince2:

• He definitely does not trust SBF!

Never in my career have I seen such a complete failure of corporate
controls and such a complete absence of trustworthy financial information as occurred here.

• The financials appear to be (and I apologize for the technical term) hot garbage:

To my knowledge, the WRS Silo Debtors do not have any long-term or funded debt. The WRS Silo Debtors are expected to have significant liabilities arising from crypto assets deposited by customers through the FTX US platform. However, such liabilities are not reflected in the financial statements prepared while these companies were under the control of Mr. Bankman-Fried.

:vince4:

Itā€™s very easy to make your financial institution look healthy and profitable - just donā€™t treat the customer deposits as liabilities. I canā€™t believe I never thought of that.

Just great stuff all around.

4 Likes