The Crapto Thread

Well maybe $APE

Ser this is the Crapto thread, as in, crypto = crap. Take that shit to the Crypto thread

1 Like

There was some guy posting on here almost exactly a year ago who repeatedly pointed out that the NFT market was a bubble, and then correctly guessed when it would end. Maybe you should listen to what that guy has to say.

1 Like

I see myself as somewhat in the middle here, and I think people need to chill a bit. I have $0 invested in crypto and always considered it very dicy as a place to put money. OTOH, I have more than one client who lost significant money in the crypto crash and its downstream effects and it kinda sucks for them. At thanksgiving my nephew (early 20s) mentioned that a friend of his bought like 40% of one bitcoin when it was around $50k.

Am I supposed to have any idea what you’re talking about?

No, you’re supposed to ask so I can paste the link.

3 Likes

your and riverman’s posts are prime entertainment content. this is the crypto bbv thread and you guys are the railbirds. it’s funny. i like funny stuff

6 Likes

I mean my god it’s almost like I’ve been saying the same thing all along and not some libertarian douche.

2 Likes

A lot of the dot com craze took over 5 years for the shit to unwind - but it looks like a blip in a 30 year rear view mirror. Btc kind of did a double take thanks to covid but it really exceeded any time-frame of other stupid over priced shit. Same with memes, tesla and a typical bull market.

it’s only fun when you are making money. almost nobody plays for fun. nobody is playing with m&ms at home besides some mormons.

I agree generally. That’s why I think BTC = 0$ is a big part of the possible outcome here. The biggest bull case for crypto and the entire genre is late stage capitalism. Millenials and Gen Z and beyond are going to live in a world that is increasingly hopeless and dystopian. Putting whatever resources they have into idiotic moonshots may be perceived as their best chance of success.

I mean we are already there in many ways. WSB, gambling on cruise stonk options, crypto, the mass proliferation of gambling options, etc.

No doubt. I haven’t bought any nfts in quite a while, hold very few and hold very little crypto. If we ever get another better environment for that kind of thing will I be jumping back in? Of course. If the next “big thing” comes along will i learn as much as i can and jump in. Of course.

1 Like

I don’t see anyone predicting the top.

Literally no crypto bear ever said you couldn’t make a lot of money while the mania was in full swing. That’s a worse strawman than “why don’t you short it hurr durr?”

You’ll notice no one replied, because there was nothing to argue with there. But that didn’t stop you guys from getting big mad anytime we pointed out the insanity of it all while it was in full swing.

Lots of people have been shorting crypto and making lots of money this year. Is shorting crypto risky? I mean ya of course. You have to have some kind of bankroll management I suppose. But acting like it’s any riskier than buying slave ship stonks in the middle of a pandemic is kind of silly.

1 Like

Weird “lots of people” and “the discord” have been making perfectly timed completely unverified short trades while also being true believers.

This describes literally nobody on the discord though, can you internalize just that point as a sign of good faith? No one on the discord is a true believer, no one.

1 Like

I mean they are true believers to your extent which seems to be owning crypto/finding it interesting? I think defining anyone on UP as true believers is a bit questionable. Then again … this is a librul website and a tenet of that is black/white-ism

1 Like

the qanon-esque social media bubble for crypto haters has him thinking if he shorted bitcoin futures through td ameritrade, crypto hackers would target him, steal his identity, and completely ruin his life

or maybe td ameritrade would confiscate the bitcoin futures short position from him in full, and say, “that was illegal. you are under arrest now”

it’s a messy business, crypto

2 Likes

Not to mention anyone can walk into a TMobile store and drain all of his life savings if he even so much as buys 1 coin of anything.

that’s obviously true