The COVID Files: Deep dive on MDs, DOs, MCATs & possibly Accountants

Looked it up, the military medical school, unsurprisingly is hard to get into.

Military residencies are generally well respected and sought after as well.

Based on 3 min of googling.

This place’s average MCAT for admits is basically average.
Their average science GPA is for admits closer to a B+

https://www.lmunet.edu/debusk-college-of-osteopathic-medicine/do/admissions/the-application-process.php

Wouldn’t be too shocking if at least a few 3.0/average MCAT folks were enrolled there. But as you say there may have been other factors involved in their admission.

No it didn’t.

MD school? or DO?

Haha yeah, one of the most respected docs in a group practice my ex was part of went to med school somewhere in the West Indies because she couldn’t get into a school in the states. She’s awesome. With law it only really matters for your first job, or it did back then anyway.

Irieguy on 2p2 went the army route. Now he’s got a pretty successful ob/gyn practice.

Well, it wasn’t a large scale profession, but Hippocrates and Galen (600 years later) were influential for a reason.

Hot take: As schools get harder to get into there’s a point at which being more selective does more harm than good as far as having students who are good at the subject at hand.

4 Likes

That‘s a scorching hot take. People died all the time because the treatment was worse than the disease.

1 Like

Those outliers are going to skew heavily towards schools in shitty states with big ‘in-state’ rules on who they accept. They don’t say their policy, but they focus on Appalachia in their statement. Wouldn’t be surprised if you basically have to live in that region to get accepted.

I meant “did fine” as in supply and demand, not efficacy.

Basically, medicine, like religion, had to exist (people get sick, people die), the stories justifying them came after.

Is there something in the “as a profession” clause?

Until penicillin last century many people spent their last decades in perpetual pain with tooth ache or infections. I’m sure simp is aware of this.

MD, uniformed services

y’all care about this waaaaay too much.

1 Like

Well that’s true of all state MD medical schools, right?

Sure, some out of state students get in, but being a state resident is probably the most important factor. Yet, those are likely orders of magnitude harder to get into.

It’s a nice way to graduate school debt free. They own your ass though for how many years of school they paid for (plus whenever they feel like calling you up afterwards). You also get very little control where you live after residency, which was the deal breaker for me.

1 Like

I’m doing this while watching the games. They kind of suck.

Yeah I think he got free sometime in his early 30s. Does that sound right?

No there’s still schools like ukmc and whatever.

MD schools are probably a little harder to get into, but saying it’s ‘orders of magnitude’ is a stretch at best. It’s also irrelevant down the road. It’s like giving a shit that you did well in high school 20 years later in your career.

1 Like

Just seems like we have the worst possible system. Either more services just being straight cash or having doctors as public employees (like National Heath in the UK) seem much better. We have a system that is primarily health insurance and health care is secondary.

1 Like

Well, have to pass the bar, but outside of CA, NY, and a few other states that’s not much of a hurdle.

Also, i think the joke is more for doctors, because what you really call that lawyer is “unemployed”.

2 Likes