The Confederacy of Donald J. Trump: A Confederacy of Dunces

What’s the real world implication of a pardon for someone who’s completed whatever sentence they may have received? The Roger Stones and Charlie Kushners of the world aren’t checking the “have you been convicted of a crime?” box on a Wendy’s application.

Owning the libs.

Well yeah, they’re not as of today.

2 Likes

How did this whole idea of a pardon even come up? It doesn’t even make sense. Like if you have evidence to disprove a crime, I get it. But I can kill someone, plead guilty to it, and Donny Dum Dum can pardon me if he wants? It’s so stupid.

Joe should preemptively pardon Hunter just for shits and giggles.

4 Likes

Hopefully some states and cities have some cases teed up on these scumbags.

1 Like
2 Likes

Biden should walk in on day 1 and hereby pardon Hunter, Hillary, and all the other boogey men.

11 Likes

But in the White House, the president is turning on his closest of allies. He has complained to allies that Mr. Pence, who has been mocked for unflinching loyalty over the past four years, should be doing more to defend him. And he is angry that Mr. McConnell has recognized President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr. as the winner of the election.

This week, Mr. Trump had an assistant send a chart featuring the timing of his endorsement of Mr. McConnell overlaid on polling data to claim he was responsible for Mr. McConnell winning re-election this year — a claim political professionals would dispute — and to suggest the majority leader was ungrateful for his help.

Lololol

5 Likes

This is the kind of casual misogyny that is way worse than people using the word ■■■■ imo

13 Likes

Murder is a state crime which the feds can’t pardon.

Unless it’s the murder of Iraqi civilians apparently, in which case come on down.

6 Likes

Is Assange getting his pardon before or after Yosemite Sam?

1 Like

Kinda want Cosby pardoned for the LOL’s. That could actually end presidential pardons.

2 Likes

It shouldn’t be THAT hard to amend the pardon power in a bipartisan way. Require that pardons be “in the interest of justice” and have to be ratified by the Senate by majority or 2/3 majority, or whatever. That would also solve the problem of pardons during a transition. (Or just remove it from the Constitution.)

It’s an important power though. There’s got to be some way to stop presidents from using it for their friends while still preserving it for people who deserve it.

1 Like

We could make it a democratic power that we plebes get to vote on pardoning an individual instead of making it like a pseudo-monarchical power. I’m surprised the founding fathers fucked up on this. Just kidding, not surprised at all that slave owning oligarchs created exploitable systems to mete out “justice”.

9 Likes

Here would be my ideas for pardon reform.

• No pardoning of close family or business associates
  • Legislature also gets pardon powers
  • Only Congress can pardon people for acts committed as a member of the executive branch and it cannot pardon members of Congress
  • No lame duck pardons
  • Supermajority of Congress can override a pardon.

I might be able to think of a few more ideas.

5 Likes

This may be useful, as it compartmentalizes the universe of unpardonable douchebags.
https://twitter.com/JeffLieber/status/1341882727583285248?s=19

9 Likes

This would never work. Pardoning convicted criminals is almost never publicly popular.

1 Like

Meh, again, you dont’ necessarily want to de-incentivize politically unpopular pardons.

Never? I guess it depends on what you mean by work. The current system is only working when it comes to some legitimate instances of injustice, but has a loophole you could drive the Trump Tower through apparently.

If the challenge is that pardoning convicted criminals is almost never publicly popular than we could just lower the threshold for achieving the pardon to something that is less than 50% of a popular vote.