The Confederacy of Donald J. Trump: A Confederacy of Dunces

Really misleading tweet that buries the funniest part imo

Rudolph W. Giuliani, who has helped oversee a string of failed court challenges to President Trump’s defeat in the election, asked the president’s campaign to pay him $20,000 a day for his legal work, multiple people briefed on the matter said.

The request stirred opposition from some of Mr. Trump’s aides and advisers, who appear to have ruled out paying that much, and it is unclear how much Mr. Giuliani will ultimately be compensated.

Dude did this without getting paid up front, what a jabroni.

11 Likes

https://twitter.com/wsteaks/status/1328785253016735746

Of course

7 Likes

Coupception

12 Likes

I’ve seen a perspective espoused in various forms on this forum, essentially: “How were Obama/eDems so naive about what Mitch McConnell and Co. were up to?”

This frames a question that I’ve had in my head, and I’m curious as to people’s opinion.

Who is/was more naive?

• The Dem politicians(including Obama) who didn’t realize or know who the GOP are and what they actually do.
  • The people who believe that the Dems and Obama weren’t stupid or complicit; they just happened to be naive about their line of work for [checks notes] our entire lives.
  • Stop asking naive questions, Conman! Biden is playing 5-D chess. He spent his whole career advocating for GOP-lite policy, so that they’ll never see it coming when he rehires Bobby Mueller to take down the Trump crime family(but only after Trump takes down the worldwide sex trafficking ring that he’s been focused on rather than dealing with covid).

0 voters

Why I voted the way I did

Like I’ve said before. If you read the liberal dissents on the supreme court, 100% of the time they all argue as if the conservative justices are acting in good faith and aren’t being partisan. Meanwhile the conservative justices constantly attack them for being partisan. It’s like a liberal brain worm to assume the other side is acting in good faith and are hopelessly naive. I think Obama and team woke up to it eventually but Mitch had full control at that point so there wasn’t much he could do. And they didn’t realize the extent they were willing to fully go until Trump, and now I think they’re all aware aside from a couple of the absolute worst like Feinstein.

4 Likes

The way the pardon fight would be waged is a USA indicts him, then Trump moves to dismiss on grounds he’s pardoned.

Yup, I got all the way to “he doesn’t want to go out with blood on his hands,” before I was like WHO IN THE ACTUAL FUCK POSTED THIS DRIVEL???

Part of the eDem naivety is that they think the average voter will recognize the GOP’s bad faith and hold them accountable in the next election. Then when they don’t, the eDems realign to the right and try again.

7 Likes

I appreciate your more detailed response. On the one hand I can understand the reasoning that arrives at your conclusion. I’m just not as willing to grant naivete as the reason for their failures.

Probably something like - the EDems hoped Rs would act in something resembling good faith, because if not they really didn’t have a lot of options. I would guess they’re aware that Rs aren’t acting in good faith, and suspected it much earlier than they publicly let on. But they’ve probably done some calculation that publicly calling out the Rs for it does no good.

It’s a very asymmetric battlefield when one side’s base expects them to actually make govt work, while the other side’s base only cares about owning the libs. Also when Dems seem to be vulnerable to the right and left of their party, whereas Republicans only ever seem to be vulnerable to being out-flanked by the far-right in theirs.

These arguments always seem to break down to “Obama should have done something!” where “something” is either left as is - for Obama to figure out, or is something fairly unrealistic like immediately pack the court or kill the filibuster in 2016.

2 Likes

This is honestly the only reason I can see as justification for not investigating and attempting to convict him.

If the Dems do that, they will likely fail to actually punish him and Biden is 100% toast in 2024.

Reality is that a lot of Trump supporters are just that: Trump supporters. They hate the GOP establishment almost as much as we do. When he goes, turnout in 2024 will drop. That is unless the Dems continue to keep his name in the news by investigating him nonstop.

1 Like

“It is hard to get a person to stop being naive about something when their paycheck depends on their continuing to be naive.” - Albert Einstein

11 Likes

If the eDem’s keep realigning right and keep misunderestimating :upside_down_face: how the electorate will react to GOP bad faith, at some point their continued willingness to do so is a result of conscious decisions rather than naivete.

I’m not sure becoming a clergy member will do him much good!!

2 Likes

It could be conscious decisions driven by perceived survival instinct.

5 Likes

I also think that Rs stepped up bad faith to an unexpected degree in 2008 in response to the first black President. McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform bill somehow got 60 votes in 2002 over McConnell’s objections with 49D votes and 11R votes. I cannot even comprehend how something like that happened having only followed Congress since the Obama era.

2 Likes

That’s the right move. Play golf so hard he loses track of time. I’d probably do the same. Oh it’s Jan 21? I missed the inauguration? Whatever. Pick up my ball and tell everyone it landed next to the green.

2 Likes

I agree with a lot of what you posted in response. However, on this point, I’ll point out that some of Trump’s populist rhetoric was outflanking GOP to the left. Not that he could or would follow through on those promises, but it seems to be a counter argument to the GOP only having an exposed right flank.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1328801981222281216
( twitter | raw text )