The Chris Dorner Shootings and Manhunt

I mean the police also created the situation by ignoring his police brutality complaints, firing him, and going after his life, and just being a brutal evil organization?

Not saying his response is justified, of course it isn’t, but they share some of the blame for the situation.

3 Likes

I’m sure they were angry, but if they thought they were approaching a heavily armed killer, most would reasonably be scared as well. I would be. And anger and fear are both reasonable things for the cops to be feeling, I’d be angry too. I’m not even saying that the cop that killed the hispanic ladies shouldn’t face consequences, just his culpability is surely lowered because of the situation Dorner created.

Sure.

Yeah, no. 100% of the culpability falls on the morons who had no idea who they were shooting at. You don’t get to play the sorry mistaken identity card when you are using deadly force.

13 Likes

It’s really this. Our culture goes on and on about how cops are heroes and it’s a dangerous job. The absolute minimum standard for that would be taking the time and personal risk to make truly sure that it’s justified before unloading your entire magazine in the direction of a potential threat. How do I know you fired too fast? The target ended up not being a threat. That should literally never happen.

1 Like

I see keed is playing his usual role here, fun.

3 Likes

They didn’t kill the hispanic ladies. Despite 8 officers shooting 100+ bullets at two unarmed, unmoving, old hispanic ladies, in a car, delivering newspapers, they did not kill them because they are incompetent.

5 Likes

I’m not blaming him so much as I’m blaming us. I don’t care much about what happens to this one cop other than doing something might make a tiny dent in the feeling that cops generally have that they are immune from any kind of scrutiny or restraint and the only option always is to just thank them even harder for their service.

1 Like

I wouldn’t fault them for not being sharpshooters. The reason they didn’t kill the old ladies is because they think it’s fine to just open fire wildly on the off chance that the person they are shooting at was this target. It’s ok because we’re all other. We’re not cops. The only bad shoot would have been if they accidently shot another cop and even then that murder would have been pinned on Dorner. The fault was that they have so little concern for your life and mine.

7 Likes

The whole Dorner manhunt is a great demonstration of how it’s not a few bad apples that are the problem. You can look at the one guy with his knee on the neck of GF and say he’s a racist and a psychopath. You can look at the other cops standing around and blame them for doing nothing, but still understand how hard it is to betray a fellow cop. The Dorner manhunt just shows how recklessly indifferent cops are to actual public safety. And it wasn’t fear - it was anger. You can go to your local Neighborhood Crime Watch meeting and have coffee with a cop and it may not seem like it, but they are an occupying army, you are always a suspect (some more than others obviously) and when push comes to shove they will show you that “reasonable suspicion” and “probable cause” mean whatever they say it means.

16 Likes

Remember when he used to be a libertarian?

2 Likes

Pretty sure I’ve always been in favor of police hunting down active spree killers!

I certainly agree it’s not a few bad apples, it’s kind of part of my point. Those cops didn’t wake up that day thinking OK this Dorner situation gives us cover for what we’ve been after this whole time. Deadliest Game: Latina Grandmother Edition. They were doing their best in good faith. The fact that their best was extremely, extremely shitty means that more reform, accountability, and training is needed.

1 Like

Or more Dorners

-NotBruceZ probably

1 Like

I would characterize this as very West Wing thinking. You want to look at the Christopher Commission? We cannot just reform, accountability, and train our way out of this. We need to defund/defang/demilitarize/disempower the police.

You’re talking even less than half-measures. No more half-measures.

2 Likes

Do you remember what Walt’s full measure was?

We’re doing metaphors here. Abolish the police.

1 Like

Right, I think police abolition is an extremely bad idea. You need to be able to call the police when people are breaking the law.

You need to be able to call the spider when you swallow a fly.

1 Like

How exactly will a murderer be brought to justice in an America where the police have been abolished? Like, can’t we just have police like they have in Denmark or whatever? Seems to work OK over there.

Does it?

2 Likes