The C-Word

You are quite wrong there.

If I identify as a British can I still use the naughty word?

1 Like

I’m not sure if this is possible, but if you can do a search of how many posts contain the word ■■■■■■ outside of debates pertaining to the word ■■■■■■■ I suspect you’d be pretty surprised by the results.

What do posters objecting to ■■■■■■ do if they see a stand up comedian? Cover their ears?

You can identify as Ethiopian if you want, you’re still a ■■■■■

3 Likes

There are over 50 instances just in the politics section.

Not give my money to sexist comedians in the first place?

The rules under discussion here will only apply to this forum as far as i know

3 Likes

In how many posts?

And, in comparison, how many instances are there of “fuck”? Or “retard”, for that matter?

We don’t really need this right now.

3 Likes

I think the poll choices are a little off. I think there’s a lot of cultural distinctions in exactly how offensive the word is, and I think it’s clearly wrong to say that the act of writing the word is always or almost always sexist. However, I think there’s a strong likelihood that many female users would find its use offensive or indicative of a hostile place, so in the name of inclusivity, it would be good to discourage or automatically filter it.

We’re at 56 votes and “yes to moderation” is at 30%. So we know two things:

1. The word will not be moderated here (or at least it won’t based on public sentiment).
  2. Some of the people who use the word are going to continue to use it, despite being asked politely to stop.

So, just make a filter in the vein of “Trump → Florida Man” and people who are offended by the word at least don’t have to see it, though they’ll obviously see whatever the replacement word is. I’m not really sure what else there is to litigate at this point.

On what forum? Are you saying that ■■■■■■ has been used 82 times and “retard” has been used 47 times since this forum came into existence? Because I find that pretty hard to believe. Can you be a little more specific on the search parameters, please?

And searching for “retard” catches some innocuous uses of “retardant” and some in the bread thread, where it’s being used as a verb meaning “to slow down” rather than referring to a slow person.

I don’t exactly agree with the phrasing of any of the options and I’m ambivalent about it at all. I am not offended by words out of context at all. But, I think as a matter of respecting people who are we shouldn’t say them.

To pick on my own group, I don’t care if someone types out the word ‘kike’ or ‘heb’ or ‘Kapo’ or makes a joke with those words, but I’m pretty sure at least ‘kike’ is not allowed whatever the person saying it means by it. I think some people feel the same way about c***.

1 Like

Ok, I mean, I stand corrected. Still seems like both are extremely low compared to the number of opportunities. How many posts in total yielded the 82/47 result?

No idea. Hundreds of thousands? At least tens of thousands.

Seems like 47/10k+ vs 82/10k+ is not a meaningful distinction, and both seem very low, tbh.

What about “fuck”?

Yes dude, 0.000004% is much, much lower than 0.0000008%. Don’t go all IHIV on me now.

There are threads for music, books, films and TV. How do you propose to police clips posted in these?