The 2024 Hurricane Season - Helene’s History; Milton’s Menacing

A rising tide in a hurricane lifts all boats!

7 Likes

Pressure back down to 902. I read Camille is the only other Hurricane to get this low twice.

RIP that dude.

2 Likes

If you’re going to do something that stupid, might as well try to get on TV and say that god told you to do it. In the one in a million chance you survive, you’ll be set for life.

1 Like

So, I’ve got to probably go to Orlando next Tuesday.

How impacted will it be by all of this?

Are we done with FL hurricanes for a while or can I expect one next week?

Orlando will probably be fine by then, maybe some lingering power outages.

1 Like

Buddy of mine is choosing to ride it out in Sarasota with a two year old and a 90 year old grandma with him.

That doesn’t sound good at all. Pretty much the bullseye?

You have a rough estimate of where in Sarasota? Sarasota usually doesn’t flood too too bad. My family live there and are also riding it out.

Lakewood Ranch is technically his address.

They’re about as far away from the coast as you can be and still be in the sarasota area. All those homes are relatively new. They should be fine. They’ll get heavy rain and wind, probably power issues, but not serious flooding.

The rule we’ve always pushed for hurricanes is always run from water, hide from wind.

The 11pm update is in, it’s shifted south/east towards sarasota… so that ain’t great for your friend, but they will still probably be fine.

That is insane if he’s in Sarasota proper.

Oh, that’s a ways inland. Not as crazy.

1 Like

I know someone who’s riding it out in Tampa. I told him he can come up to Atlanta if he changes his mind.

Mom again staying put. About 30 miles north of Tampa but fewer than 5 miles from the ocean. She says they are 20 feet above sea level.

Tried to get them to leave but they won’t.

Not looking forward to this.

7 Likes

can he get gas?

Gotta love the aerial shots of the congested highways where 90% of the vehicles are an SUV/pickup.

Am I taking crazy pills? The path is now projected to be south of Tampa, they’re a few miles inland, well north of Tampa, 20 feet above sea level, assuming it’s a modern home, that doesn’t sound unreasonable to me to ride it out…

But u didnt know that until the latest projections. You might not have enough time to get away if the turn would have been in the other direction.

1 Like

I think it’s fine, just being that high above sea level is probably fine. Granted I’ve been dealing with these storms my whole life.

Run from the water hide from the wind is the general gsmeplan here.

The really strong winds are only supposed to happen over like a 30 mile area. The surge could be crazy, but probably not crazy enough to reach her that far north of the landing site.

She also still has probably a couple hours to evacuate safely, too.