The 2024 Hurricane Season - Helene’s History; Milton’s Menacing

I have seen this guy in five different interviews now.

The story I read about this guy doesn’t make it so easy. He was formerly homeless and worked hard for his one possession that small boat. He is petrified if he loses it he will be back on the street so he wants to do everything he can to protect it. It’s his home.

He may be a MAGA ass I have no idea but his fear seems fair and understandable.

4 Likes

If he’d rather be dead than back living on the street, it’s rational. I get that.

Yeah, this guy likely just doesn’t have any better options. Where’s he going to go without a car and gas, even if the roads weren’t backed up? Climate change is going to fuck over the poor while those with means will migrate north.

1 Like

I guarantee there are shelters he can get to that are safer than sitting in a boat to ride out a Cat 4.

That being said, yeah, this probably isn’t the only person who is in such bad circumstances that they are stuck in a dangerous place. It’s fucking terrible. And all the rich people will just pack up and move to a different place when they get tired of dealing with the storms and flooding leaving the rest of us behind.

2 Likes

snarky answer is to sail the sailboat north, but yeah any time a hurricane rolls through you’ll have hundreds/thousands of stories of people in really shitty spots that don’t have the luxury of being able to drive to georgia and get a hotel for a few days.

1 Like

https://x.com/yishan/status/1843776780660068462?s=42

24 Likes

I have a friend who recently moved to the Ft Myers area, she’s not rich but not at all poor, and she’s trying to ride this out because she’s stuck. By the time she got evacuation orders the roads north were already dark red on traffic and if she had tried to power through I’m sure she would’ve been stranded somewhere without fuel. The infrastructure is just not in place to evacuate 10m+ in 2-3 days.

1 Like

My brother and his family, his wife’s parents, my mother (in a memory care facility), and two sisters (both in a different long-term health care facility), are all within a few miles of each other in Port Charlotte, between Fort Myers and Sarasota. All but my sisters are under the mandatory evac orders (no idea why). He’s still fighting with the insurance company from the hurricane that hit a few years ago, weeks after they moved in.

3 Likes

Thoughts for everyone who is having to go through this, friends, family and strangers. It’s a tough spot for a lot of people to be in with no good options. I hope everyone can be safe.

3 Likes

Tell your mother to wear a storm screen with a Storm Protection Factor of at least 30.

This is one of the few times where going south was as reasonable as north. Especially from fort Myers.

Seems bad.

https://x.com/hankgreen/status/1844027196106739843?t=IxPMXqY0OPLyj9vIG_V_ZQ&s=19

:hushed:

https://x.com/WeatherWithLaur/status/1844037683829710958

I disagree, it means it is moving fast, that’s a good thing in my mind. The last thing you want is the hurricane stalling over the state just shredding more and more while dropping buckets of water.

1 Like

It’s good and bad in a way, so much power is bad. Fast moving is good.

Live view of what’s supposed to be ground zero.

Conflicting info on what’s going on with that boat dude.

When my in laws used to travel to Florida every winter we used to visit them and go to Siesta Key beach every day. It’s a beauty, some of the nicest fine white sand I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

Weather nerds saying this might be the most tornadoes spawned by a hurricane in FL history.