The 2024 Hurricane Season - Helene Heading to FLA Panhandle

No matter how many time I see that video it never fails to shock me. The ocean is fucking terrifying.

On top of the trees, they don’t have buried power lines, so every time a storm hits the limbs knock out all the power for absurd periods of time. Gotta love dumb conservative mindset that refuses to spend money on infrastructure.

1 Like

Its the single biggest force on the planet, of course its terrifying.

1 Like

Volcano? Earthquake?

I seriously don’t know how to rank them. Pretty sure the worse volcanos and earthquakes can take out more people but I don’t know about raw energy.

a submarine could withstand hurricane winds and storm surge with ease. you might not even know anything is happening. meanwhile that same submarine, if exposed to an active volcano, would kill all passengers. earthquake? not sure exactly how that would affect a submarine and her crew, it feels like that might be complicated

so i guess volcano > earthquake > hurricane

1 Like

A hurricane has energy on the order of a Hiroshima bomb (maybe 5 or 10 bombs). Mt St. Helens eruption was on the order of 1600 Hiroshima bombs.

1 Like

Big earthquake is way way way more.

A 9.0 earthquake is a million Hiroshima bombs. An 8.0 is like a big volcano.

You guys aren’t going to spoil Resident Alien S3 are you? I’m only halfway through.

I tapped out of Resident Alien after S2. Just felt the writers stopped caring about having a cohesive storyline.

Wait I thought you could drop a Nike in a hurricane to stop it.

Also, how strong can hurricanes be if they can be moved by a sharpie?

S2 to S3 was a little jarring and it does feel like there are just too many storylines especially for a series that could get killed off any minute. Alan Tudyk still fires off the occasional great line though.

I mean, the Ocean is certainly larger than any other naturally occurring thing in the world. We’ve just completely lost gigantic airplanes with trackers on them to the beast. It can literally grab you and pull you out to your death without you even knowing it.

I mean, Jordan could certainly leap higher wearing them, but I don’t know about stopping a hurricane.

3 Likes

Ah I see, you guys were talking about hurricanes specifically. I was talking about the Ocean as a whole.

This is the most powerful force in the world!

(TikTok - Make Your Day)

1 Like

How do you stop a hurricane?

Just do it.

9 Likes

Yes, but I measure force in terms of damage done to a submarine.

1 Like

You could call this unit the titan. Based on the total destruction of a single Titan submarine and 5 billionaires at a depth of 3346 metres.

1 Like