The 2024 Hurricane Season - Helene Heading to FLA Panhandle

If the hurricane does end up direct hitting Tallahassee, surely this is just God’s punishment to DeSantis for the weak ass attempt at trying to come at the King?

Sure looks like Tallahassee is in for quite a blow. There are lots and lots of big trees there. And normally it’s hot and humid as hell with no breeze during this time of year. Long times without power will be absolutely miserable. Storms this strong don’t just pop up south of Cuba at this time of year very often. I don’t know if that’s another sign of climate change or not, but it’s definitely not the norm. It’s true that more populated areas are being spared, but it’s one more excuse to raise home insurance rates which are already sky high down here.

i remember driving through the panhandle on 10 shortly after michael and just like every single tree being down.

2 Likes

I only understand hurricane paths written in Sharpie.

6 Likes

Our power went out for a while yesterday but otherwise not much happened

Saw something about the gulf being 2-3’C above normal. That’s an F ton of more energy.

1 Like

Tallahassee has some very beautiful, very old trees. Hopefully it misses.

The storm is going to be a monster in size, although maybe not as powerful as other storms, but apparently the risk is that it is going to cause lots of flooding in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina. CNN was saying potentially landslides.

I am sweating out the rain, wind, and likely power outages from Atlanta metro

1 Like

Atlanta is uniquely unprepared for any kind of extreme weather

Looking at a FL hurricane map, TIL of the great name “Chassahowitzka” which is the name of a state wildlife area down there. Website says that name means “hanging pumpkin place” which would not have been my first guess.

1 Like

Realizing that landfall will probably be after sunset tonight. It’s going to get dark.

Saw a live cam from St George Island and the water looks fun. So far haven’t seen any people, which is a bit surprising for Florida but this barrier island is a pain to get to, let alone get out from after a hurricane.

1 Like

At the beginning of the season they expected an above average activity. But after the early cat 5 it got pretty quiet in the Atlantic but few weeks ago read that something changed the usual weather patterns in Africa which lead to some greening in the southern Sahara and disrupted the usual waves leaving Africa travelling west.

Hopefully these guys put up more cameras again, cause this was insane

5 Likes

Damn, never saw that one before. Fwiw 4:18 is the part where the red house goes for a swim.

https://x.com/Reuters/status/1839367791264272574?t=jY0DMyNxRvpa8Z0wSXzdSA&s=19

people and dogs from that house somehow survived. they are in the video at one point parking their car.

2 Likes

Hopefully someone makes an audiocut of Dollie’s “Jolene” but subs in “Helene” for meme-ing

ETA: found it

2 Likes

They aren’t even prepared for unextreme weather like 2 inches of snow.