The 2024 Hurricane Season - Helene Heading to FLA Panhandle

What’s interesting to me is how little the storm has moved in the last few hours.

The eastward turn is really bad news. While it wont directly hit as big of a population center as Tampa, A lot of people in that area will not have evacuated expecting a northward trajectory.

1 Like

Fucking hell Sanibel is really going to be completely submerged

Right on cue, MSNBC airs Desantis live, playing the responsible leader.

Yeah, this is exactly what the couple
I talked to said. The people that stayed stayed because they thought it was going to strike further north. Which is still stupid.

I feel bad for everyone there who’s not a bad person, but I’m not upset it turned away from a major population center that’s been voting for the side that wants to address climate change and into the more deplorable part of that side of Florida that’s less densely populated. That seems like a less bad and more just outcome, even if they’re less prepared for it.

2 Likes

I also don’t feel bad for rich people who chose to live on the Florida coast, regardless of their politics. I have an acquaintance who’s parents own waterfront homes on the gulf near Tampa. They’re wealthy and intelligent, and they chose to take on this risk. They evacuated for their safety, which is good, but they’re upset about the property damage. That’s on them. This isn’t some unpredictable event. They shouldn’t be bailed out by FEMA or disaster aid, either. That should only go to poor people who actually need it.

You want to live in a mansion on the Florida coast in 2022, our official government policy should be: good luck with that.

2 Likes

Ffs can we wait until the active storm is over before edgelording?

6 Likes

It’s hard to know what to do as these things approach. Most people aren’t in a position to batten things down and leave five days out. This was definitely a late turn. Charley was too. That said, my niece from cape Coral came to stay with me, arriving at about 6am, driving clear across the state. She said there was no traffic. Her husband stayed home with their pets. She’s worried sick.

2 Likes

Holy shit. I hope he’s ok.

Yeah as I was talking with this couple, the bartender joined the conversation and she was like, if you have a job like
Mine, you can’t just leave and expect to have a job when you come back. That hit me, because I’d really taken my ability to leave for granted.

So far he’s okay. He is kind of taking the stubborn, tough guy approach. I invited pets and all (are apparently there are many) but he insisted on staying. But no traffic heading east overnight. They knew it was coming and had enough time. She made it easily.

Yeah, have no idea what business this couple is in but they probably feel guilt that they could easily leave and their employees didn’t feel like they could.

That shouldn’t be edgelording, it should be mainstream, and the only time people pay attention is during the storm itself. You’re using the same argument gun nuts use right after mass shootings.

We shouldn’t rebuild homes that get washed out to sea every 5-10 years with taxpayer money is not edgelording. Fuck the climate deniers who are dragging the entire world into climate catastrophes is not edgelording.

To be clear I’m not rooting for people like this to suffer loss of property or life, and I give a shit what happens to people like her. I’m not rooting for anyone to lose property/life, I just don’t care if the wealthy lose property they chose to own in risky areas, nor do I care what happens to climate deniers.

They’re a lot like anti-vaxxers and COVID deniers, they’re fucking over everybody. We’re going to spend at least the next 10-20 years dumping hundreds of billions of federal dollars into rebuilding and watching the stuff we rebuild get wrecked over and over, instead of addressing the problem and helping the poor. Fuck the people making that happen.

2 Likes

They had the ability to tell their employees to leave and save themselves but presumably didn’t.

The incentives are completely fucked in America.

How do people leave cars a block from the ocean right before a cat 4 hurricane hits. I can’t comprehend that level of dumb.

Even if they did, the employees probably couldn’t comfortably afford the costs of a hotel, etc.

According to them, he’s like a manager and it’s some branch of a corporate financial entity, the corporate owners were resistant to people
Leaving, so he knocked everyone off yesterday at two and told them to evacuate if they could. None of them did.

Because they thought they’d only get the cat 3 winds on the edge of the hurricane

Insurance companies should tell them to pound sand, it should be written into policies that that shit isn’t covered. Not just because of the stupidity, but those cars are going to turn into submerged wrecking balls bouncing off of buildings and homes, and possibly killing people.