The 2024 Hurricane Season - Helene Heading to FLA Panhandle

I don’t know if the NOAA typically goes on the high side of their estimates, just to cover the worst case scenario. But the NOAA chart I am looking at says 12-18 foot storm surge, which could be worse than Sandy. Wiki seems to say Sandy was 10-13 feet or so.

my sisters near jacksonville and seems completely unconcerned

God is protecting their elite hockey team. JESUS SAVE KUCHEROV I BEG YOU!!!

I think its just proof that liberal claims of flooding are a FAKE NEWS HOAX!!!

The people in this plane are absolutely insane. I get anxiety just thinking about a little turbulence, never mind a 700 ft change in altitude in the middle of a giant hurricane.

https://twitter.com/jeremydehart53d/status/1575112285676539905?s=46&t=VSnLzN7FMjwduPUMPGPI7g

Ryan Hall is back with some of the best coverage.

That real savior moved back to Detroit

2 Likes

It seems like the last few years, the forecasting models have been off by 1 category more often than not, due to underestimating rapid intensification or overestimating weakening approaching the shore. I’m not sure what specifically they’re missing but it makes perfect sense that models using historical data would miss something since the water is warmer now.

I think he was trying to avoid being political (he said now isn’t the time, let’s talk about that later) and also do the scientific egghead thing, which is to say we can’t prove any one storm is caused by climate change but the preponderance of evidence very strongly suggests that the increase in major hurricanes is due to warmer ocean temperatures.

What he’s missing is that about 10-20x as many people are watching now as next week, so now is the right time to discuss it. Also, 95% of people will just hear what he says and conclude climate change isn’t causing this because they’re stupid.

Similar issue to what epidemiologists say about COVID scientifically versus what the best message is to convey the right thing to the public.

Experts on these things are brilliant but they suck at explaining their findings to average people.

Looking at this shift and a 2020 election results map… You hate to see it. This thing is almost certainly fucking up a less densely populated area that has more climate deniers. That’s a good trade.

hurricane is not a valid excuse for dodging mobilization orders

2 Likes

It’s because the storm is hitting South of Tampa, they’re now on the left side which pulls water out. The right side pushes it in.

They’ll probably get a storm surge later when it comes ashore but it won’t be nearly as bad as it was forecast to be ~24 hours ago.

Jesus

https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/status/1574860104968638465

Storm chasing is just insane.

Mom is in a podunk northern suburb of Tampa. East of the main expressway. They have two animals and some medical issues so they decided to stay. The generator they bought doesn’t work.

So nervous for every one down there.

Looks like Tampa and north are going to get absurdly lucky based on the path we were seeing just last night. Be glad they arent south of the city.

My aunt and uncle usually rent a place south of Tampa for the winter. I don’t think that place is going to exist anymore.

Holy shit these images out of Ft. Myers. Yikes.

My parents have been renting a place in (I think) Clearwater for two weeks every spring for the past few years (except if canceled because COVID)

I’m assuming that will also be an absolute mess, even if that area doesn’t get the direct eyewall hit.

Ugh and there is still an hour or so until landfall