The 2024 Hurricane Season - Helene Heading to FLA Panhandle

So like Sanibel Island is projected to be completely underwater? This is nuts.

Live reports are confirming that Waffle Houses are indeed closed. We have reached defcon 4.

3 Likes

It’s one of the more extreme projections but the way this morning is going it’s definitely a real possibility.

Oh yeah. Sanibel and all the little coastal towns along there are gojng to be wrecked.

My understanding is that frequency actually is expected to decline, but severity will increase.

10 feet of storm surge? That seems like it would kill a lot of people.

Welp, looks like Tampa Mayor better at rooting than I am :frowning:

Dont forget their devil worship antichrist show on FXX!

I’m no expert but I believe this not great.

https://twitter.com/JordanSteele/status/1575103067946565633?s=20&t=6nIHkhG7OHYN1YrM4ks6LQ

1 Like

Jim Cantore on Weather Channel is pissed. He says he’s 'sick and tired" of all these hurricanes being borderline cat 5. I don’t think fewer but more powerful storms is a good tradeoff. It’s way too stressful on everyone and too destructive.

No, thats not good. Thats what happens before a ten foot wall of water rushes miles inland

I’m going to revise my earlier statement that central Florida will be ok. One area that could be in serious trouble is the area around the northern part of the Kissimmee River (just south of Orlando). I forgot they have completed restoring the natural flow path of the river, basically putting bends and oxbows back into it from when it has been channelized in the 70s. The result (and intent) was to slow down runoff from traveling to Lake Okeechobee. That could cause serious flooding problems now since it has been wet in that area already and dumping this much water on it won’t be good.

What exactly do you envision here? Disaster relief is a basic function of government. How is it being a pussy to work to best minimize the human cost of the natural disaster?

1 Like

The meteorologist that I listened to this morning said that the bay being sucked out is because of the wind direction and that Tampa itself was likely going to miss the worst of a storm surge.

2 Likes

I envision increasing political polarization and using everything the government does as an opportunity to look for ways to play hardball with Republicans.

1 Like

Yeah, this happened a few years back, too. Don’t remember the storm name, but there were videos of people walking around in a dry bay.

Again. Tampa prayer is powerful.

1 Like

Like Noah parting the Red Sea

1 Like

As I’m trying to keep up with this (family near Jacksonville), I’m realizing that I definitely don’t understand everything I’m reading. I’m getting confused by something as simple (or at least I thought) as storm surge. When they talk about 10 foot storm surges, that’s measured by sea level being 10 feet higher than normal? But that doesn’t give any indication (without much more information) about how far inland the water is likely to go?

I think how far inland has to do a lot with the slope of the land. Low slope=further inland. I’m sure the speed the water is coming in matters too for the initial push.