The 2024 Hurricane Season - Helene Heading to FLA Panhandle

https://mobile.twitter.com/EricBurrisWESH/status/1575073815004061697

Yikes

Seems like they have consistently underestimated just how quickly and severely storms will strengthen once they get up in the Gulf of Mexico.

https://twitter.com/pcavlin/status/1574951889229479937?s=20&t=R317Pl-lf6Q1_GNBO8Uu2A

Holy shit.

https://twitter.com/EFisherWX/status/1575083552357879809?s=20&t=eeo5Ba46DyNOqwpyj7HpiQ

I suspect that a lot of people are going to die because of populist anti-expert sentiment. AIN’T NO GUBMINT EGGHEAD GONNA TELL ME TO LEAVE MY HOME!

Charley was REALLY bad too. If this really is several times worse, yikes.

The sad thing is: Without Ian the climate change deniers look at this hurricane season and think: “Well where was the increasing number of hurricanes or major hurricanes.? Everything is a hoax.” They probably think it anyway so not sure how many storms nature needs to slam into peoples faces before they start believing.

Charley was small and fast moving. This is huge and slower moving. They keep saying it’ll get weaker over land. I sure hope it does. I’ve lived down here for a long time. Don Lemon is right. These monster storms are a relatively new phenomenon. If it’s not from climate change, what’s it from? Variance?

1 Like

Yeah, compar the satellite photos of Andrew to any of the most recent hurricanes and the difference in size is alarming.

I’m tired of Dems being pussies and not knowing how to fight. An unwillingness to think this way is why eDems are eDems.

1 Like

That Tampa area neighbor mayor’s prayers were answered. Fuck you neighbors to the South!

1 Like

Hes just being a scientist.

Climate change changes the climate. Not the weather. Just like one snow storm doesnt disprove climate change, neither does one extreme event prove it.

There is a link around likelyhood. But actually the science is a bit open, just because a) its complicated and b) hurricanes are infrequent events so it’s hard to do stats on them.

Theres actually some fairly solid evidence that climate change will reduce the number of typhoons in some areas. But again. Small sample size.

The political answer is of course different, and anyone speaking publicly on weather has an obligation to be on their A game for climate change messaging. So I guess it’s okay to fault him.

1 Like

My brother used to live north of St James City until 3 years ago. (Safely in NC now).

Good stream here.

Well a million plus died of Covid and yet….

There is no number. All of Florida could be below sea level and they still wouldn’t accept it.

1 Like

And this was a tiny little nothing storm for quite a while. They knew it was going to blow up. I think the water temperature is higher than in years past, and that explains a lot of it. Wonder why that is? Hmm?

1 Like

God is punishing Disney for their CRT transgender politics!

1 Like

Tell them the water molecules are illegal immigrants and they’ll build a giant wall around Florida.

It is going to be really hard not to be mega tilted by Desantis both:

a) being portrayed as some kind of heroic leader by the press in the aftermath of this
b) inevitably using federal funds for additional PR stunts

1 Like