The 2024 Hurricane Season - Helene Heading to FLA Panhandle

I live in Charleston and am in a 500-year flood plain. There’s plenty of high ground. Hurricanes are a real problem.

West coast is best coast. Come on over.

Ugh I’m trying, trust me -_-

I haven’t studied sea level rise predictions so am just making assumptions - is there any risk there?

It was about this time of year five years ago when I had to batten down the house and take my 95 year old dementia-afflicted mother for a three hour ride to a hotel across the state to get out of the way of Hurricane Matthew. It was a very rainmanesque kind of trip. Thankfully when we got home we found the storm had only blown some branches into the yard and didn’t do any major damage. Matthew got its beginnings much closer to the US than the storms we’ve been seeing lately, and it basically skirted the east coast of the state.

Midwest. Stay away from low areas and flooding isn’t a worry. No hurricanes. No significant earthquakes. Four seasons.

There are landscaping companies everywhere.

4 Likes

Midwest will also be oceanfront property in a few decades.

Tornadoes?

Optimal move is to have two homes. One on the east coast and one somewhere else you can go during hurricane season (and winter, if towards the north).

The acerage a tornado can destroy is tiny. Most won’t destroy well built homes and even then the area of destruction is like 2 miles x 200 yards. Which represents less than 1% of large metro areas.

Flooding and winter storms are a far bigger pain in the ass.

1 Like

It’s nothing but landscaping companies.

1 Like

Lived in the midwest my whole life and I think I’ve only had 1 or 2 real tornado scares
They’re not that common and their destruction path is usually pretty short and narrow so you’ve got to run pretty bad to get hit.

I think the emotional reaction to tornados can be so visceral specifically because they tear a strip through an area. So you have the direct side by side contrast of the demolished house vs. the neighbors house which is untouched. The resultant imagery is very impactful.

1 Like

The emotional impact of tornadoes is due to little to no warning, which makes their victims sympathetic. Most weather disaster related deaths are due to flooding, but the victims have notice and usually bear a degree of fault.

1 Like

Good point.

1 Like

Wtf happened with these tornados?

https://twitter.com/DonStribling2/status/1470118788964233222

Well one tornado absolutely wrecked Western Kentucky this weekend.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bclemms/status/1469662822795816968

1 Like

Jesus.

One of the tornadoes left a 200 mile path of destruction. 200 miles. Two hundred. Absolutely unfathomable.

2 Likes