The 2024 Hurricane Season - Helene Heading to FLA Panhandle

The tower is gone? How long could it take to restore power?

I legit couldn’t imagine being without power for weeks. How does that work if you have a job in the area? I assume work is shut down too because of no power? You just don’t get paid for 2+ weeks? Have to rely on Fema giving you food?

Such a fucked up situation. As usual it’s mostly poor people who suffer, I’m sure anyone with resources is long gone in a hotel

I hear the Ted Cruz Suite in Cancun is a good option.

4 Likes

Well shit. My niece lives in New Orleans but had evacuated into Georgia. Can’t go back now. I had thought she was ok, at least she didn’t say she needed anything. Should have known better. Single mom, kind of proud. She couldn’t pay to get the brakes fixed on her car. Trying to get her leave the area to stay with family for a few weeks until things get sorted out. At least she has that recourse.

4 Likes

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/orleans-levees-pass-idas-test-suburbs-flood-79730144

1 Like

Tulane is evacuating students to Houston.

The long term problem for NOLA, and the area really, isn’t the rising seas or more intense storms… it’s the fact that the city is sinking into the ground without the flooding of the Mississippi dropping off dirt everywhere. Not sure how you can fix that.

The Dutch seem to be managing ok.

Chicago handled it by pouring dirt in every street, thus raising street level by 6 or so feet. Would probably be cheaper to put the money into the levees.

Are they? An admittedly very brief look at it makes it seem like they have a problem too.

They have a problem, but it seems like they have been dealing with it effectively for a long time.

In West NJ north of Philly we had 9.9 inches of rain
View from my window at 7pm. The center hit at 8.

Locally people just not used to this kind of flood. I’m only aware because I lived in LV for a 20 years and know what desert floods can do

1 Like

The nhc map isnt even big enough to track hurricane Larry all the way. That it maintains its strength so far to the north getting closer to Greenland is insane. Is the water temp even over 20°C there at this time of the year?

https://twitter.com/ryanhanrahan/status/1436529295384616961?s=21

4 Likes

That seems ass backwards.

1 Like

In Soviet Dildo, Hurricane Larry pound you!

9 Likes

You haven’t lived until you’ve driven the road in Newfoundland from Come-by-Chance to Conception Bay.

Pretty lucky recently that the major hurricanes all take the first exit towards the north on their way westwards.

I’ve noticed that too. Sup with that? I like that behavior though. When you live on the Florida coast, the days can’t go fast enough this time of year. I hate putting up hurricane shutters.

1 Like

I read on one of the weather sites I follow when storms start brewing that fully crossing the Atlantic by this point in the season is pretty tough sledding. At least there’s all the warning in the world when they do, the homebrew shit in the Gulf is the worst.

Somewhat related, my gf and I are talking about moving, and she keeps bringing up moving to cities on the Atlantic coast (Wilmington, Charleston, etc). Am I crazy for putting my foot down and vetoing those options? We’re looking for a place to settle for the long-term, and my expectations of the next ~50 years on the Atlantic coast are a) constant flooding, and b) constant hurricane scares.