The 2024 Hurricane Season - Helene’s History; Milton’s Menacing

Been to sanibel dozens of times and my mom just went back there for the first time post-Ian. Things starting to come back but still a long road ahead.

My brother lived in St James City off Ft Myers until a few years ago. His old area got pretty much wiped out.

Those barrier islands got F’d.

1 Like

Have heard second hand of some pretty bad stories in the NC mountains near Banner Elk/Boone. Creeks sweeping houses and trailers down the “holler”

If you’ve ever driven I 40 in the mountains between Asheville and Knoxville, you know that it’s fun but a little nerve wracking. I’ve done it many times. You can forget about it for quite a while

2 Likes

Well after 72 hours electricity came back on. Just to go out for another 5 hours. But I think I am finally back. But just to give me some perspective lifelong friend of my mom was visiting in town this past week from Asheville. She was supposed to go back Saturday…no idea now…

10 Likes

How much of the flooding in North Carolina has been outside of known flood zones?

Do we see this becoming Biden/Kamala’s Katrina? The death toll may not reach Katrina levels but the insane widespread destruction combined with how difficult these areas are going to be to even get relief to will be a weeks long spectacle. In a razor tight election any event like this could have serious election ramifications if the Biden admin can’t get a handle on this quickly.

I think the fact it hit hardest in Florida is going to make that hard. DeSantis needs to show that Florida can still deal with hurricanes, so his incentive is going to be a quick recovery even if that means working with Biden rather than blaming Biden for how bad things are.

I’m more referring to what is going on in NC and surrounding areas where you have 1000+ missing people still, an entire half of the state of NC cut off because all the roads and bridges are gone or unusable and a ton of people trapped without power, water, etc.

Florida seems to have gotten off pretty easy in comparison.

Doesn’t help that Trump and his followers are spreading lies about Biden not doing anything when he and the government are, in fact, doing everything they can.

Conservatives want disaster so they can root for failure.

there are hundreds of hollers in those mountains where true hillbillies live, many without electricity or running water, much less internet or well-maintained roads. Truly off the grid.

I don’t think we’ll ever know the true toll of this, because a lot of those people weren’t even counted before this happened.

1 Like

Well, if Trump loses NC the result will be invalid because of the flooding and it will have to be decided by the gerrymandered NC state house.

This is what I was worried about before the storm hit. These other states just don’t have the infrastructure to handle these crazy amounts of rain. The videos coming out of NC look horrific.

1 Like

How ridiculous are these aerial shots of these homes and their proximity to the beach. None of this land should have ever been developed.

1 Like

Its not just the east coast either. Obviously they have to worry about hurricanes and shit more than the west coast, but San Simeon in California is currently turbo fucked because the only road in keeps cracking due to erosion, likely due to rising sea levels.

Obviously that road was buitl decades ago, but we keep building right next to a body of water that has no signs of staying where it is for any forseable future.

We’re just a dumb, shortsighted species who literally only care about what is directly in front of us.

Hwy 1 where it keeps going out is well above sea level. It was built on an unstable slide. Rains definitely are a factor.

Also not a lot of people live around that part of the central coast.

Right, im not talking specifically about people being endangered (they arent in this case) more that we have a city built almost completely on tourism that is going to likely end up a ghost town without a passable road, one that is being increasingly dangerous to pass due to the effects of climate change.

I understand that while the causes of both are the same, the effects are different, but there are effects occuring and a lot of it has to do with our shortsightedness and hubris.

Which city are you talking about?

San Simeon

Ah