Tech Support

I’m totally baffled by this one. If my father tries to change his password on Amazon he gets an intermediate step where it sends him a text message to his cell. I don’t get this step.

The insane thing is the text is not a standard 2fa. It literally has a link that the has to click to allow the password change. It’s not a normal 2fa where you are given a code to enter.

Can Amazon be this dumb? I’ve spent years training him to never click links in emails or texts!

Also, no matter what I do I can’t get the same thing when I change password.

Wat. You have to opt in for 2fa everywhere go do that.

What kind of 2fa uses live links for authentication. That’s just terrible.

This not 2fa. 2fa is using a separate app like google authenticator to log in/change passwords, not clicking on links/providing a phone # to have links to be texted to you.

It’s pretty straightforward - if you’re not expecting the link, don’t click on it.

If he saying he lost his password then he gets a link to click on his phone after normally answering his secret question. This is not 2FA.

Anyone have a good idea how I can use an excel spreadsheet to track when and if people have reviewed it?

I want to make a spreadsheet that contains data which will change over time. I need a way to force a group of people to review it and sign off once a month and to be able to track that sign off. If they just type their name each month I guess track changes would record that?

Is there a more elegant way to track who has reviewed and signed off each month for a document that will be live for a few years?

seems like videos started auto playing for me, even when the post is not currently on screen. bug or feature?

Anyone wear an Apple Watch? Am I nuts or since the new update it now hears my car start? As soon as I start my car it instantly gives me mapping info on the watch. Not when I get in or if I’m waiting but only when I start.

Am I dreaming this?

my phone does the same. it’s been a feature for a while. I believe it just studies your movement patterns and makes deductions based on that.

sometimes it gets it wrong - it once thought the convenience store across the street from me was “work.”

my car will know about me because the phone always connects to it. it’s just typical IOT stuff.

1 Like

it’s a little creepy but kind of nice - I have an app on my phone that talks to my car. when I am low on gas and about to leave to go somewhere, my phone will sometimes remind me that I need gas. lol

Starting your car causes your phone/watch to connect to the car’s bluetooth?

Yes

OK so I would like to preface this by saying when it comes to technology I am a dinosaur. I know nothing. I still buy physical CDs for chrissakes.

I need a new laptop and haven’t bought one in forever. My current one I just got from an old job.

I don’t do any gaming or fancy shit. It’s all internet browsing, MS Word and Excel docs, basic shit like that. I looked into Chromebooks briefly and they don’t seem like they are for me.

Is there any reason for me not to just pick some middle of the road laptop like LG, HP, or whatever, basically at random? Are they all about the same, reliability wise? Price isn’t my main concern, I just want hassle-free. I assume I can just buy last year’s model, since I don’t care about having the latest and greatest?

Where should I be buying it from? Just some random seller on Amazon? Or direct from HP (or whoever)? If something goes wrong I assume it will have been better to have bought directly from the company, but I’m not sure about that.

Basically I have no idea what is important, any pointers appreciated. My inclination is just to look at a Consumer Reports list and go from there. See, told you I was an old man

I’ve always had good luck with Toshiba. Weirdly they supposedly aren’t making laptops anymore. But someone is making this. Ok looks like the Sharp corporation is making them now.

Been buying Dell discounted laptops from their site for friends/family that don’t have real requirements when it comes to performance and no complaints.

1 Like

The discount Dell site was one I was considering. The Toshiba one makes me a little nervous tech support wise. Leaning towards just middle of the road HP or Dell on a Black Friday deal

I like Dell outlet, I’ve bought my last few machines from there. They have separate sites for Home and Business (different models on both sites), I buy off the business side but YMMV. They have options for good service plans including some with on-site service, I had an issue a few years ago and there was a dude at my house the next day replacing some internal component on my laptop.

Hopefully one of you can help because I suck at this. My bluetooth mouse and keyboard were working just fine last night, and today… nothing. I have no idea wtf happened. Its one of those Logitechs that can connect to multiple computers, and it runs fine on my work computer via bluetooth. But it seems like the bluetooth on my computer is just… fucking gone.

Windows doesnt give me the option to turn on or off bluetooth anymore, and it doesnt even appear in the device manager. What the fuck happened?

The option should to turn it on and off should be here somewhere

and then its just nowhere in my device manager.

any ideas?

This is what it shows in the system information