Tech Support

Yeah, all of the devices currently connect through wifi. The wifi does well on speedtests (16 ping, 160 down / 35 up), but what will happen is the connection will just drop out of nowhere, the devices won’t find the network for 10-30 seconds, then they find it again and reconnect, and it all goes back to performing well speed-wise. I can run a cable to my PC, I don’t remember if I tried that already but it’s worth trying again to see if I lose wired when I lose wifi.

I can buy that it’s a wireless problem, but the interruptions are more prevalent during the day (too many zoomaments in the area?), but then sometimes I get a string of days when there are no interruptions at all. I have about the same number of devices accessing the network throughout the day, if anything an extra device at night.

This sounds like you might have a lot of interference. Are there a ton of wifi signals in your area? You could try another band that is less crowded.

I agree increased speed won’t help even though your speed sounds really low to me. However, I’m obsessed with internet speed. I have 940/940 connection!

1 Like

It’s a rural area, so in absolute terms not many other signals (I can see one of my neighbor’s networks and that’s it), but a lot more people/kids than usual are at home up and down the road due to the virus. I have not tried messing with the channels, I’ll give that a shot. I think my plan of action after that is: 1) try to determine if the wired connection dies when the wifi connections die 2) get a better router anyway 3) … it is what it is, no other provider for this address

Do you have a landline and wireless hand set? They can interfere with wifi too?

I’d strongly recommend google mesh. It can stabilize most Wi-Fi

Heyo. So I moved the router and modem to the center of the house and ran an ethernet cable to the router for my main PC. It seems that yes, the wired connection has a 100% up time, while the wifi devices continue to drop their connections, albeit at a noticeably lower rate. So hopefully this was just a weak router / bad placement issue, so I’m going to start with a new router and see what happens.

I’m looking to be in the ~$130-160 range for routers (probably overkill but w/e). Any recommends or avoids? @Clovis8 is that Nest Wifi what you were recommending?

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Tri-Band-Max-Stream-MU-Mimo-Wireless/dp/B07L9282JK/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=linksys+router&qid=1598039659&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-R6700-Nighthawk-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00F0DD0I6/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=router&qid=1598039590&sr=8-2-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExTk9EUzlZWVhVOFdIJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjk5NjMwMkU0QlZXSkc2QlNRUyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTIzNTMwMVU0N1ZVV0xUT0NGMSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AX6000-8-Stream-Smart-Router/dp/B07YMFZ28Q/ref=sxin_10?ascsubtag=amzn1.osa.708efba3-0fc0-4dc9-9d8c-b2f5c8b81a7a.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&creativeASIN=B07L56SN8M&cv_ct_cx=router&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osa.708efba3-0fc0-4dc9-9d8c-b2f5c8b81a7a.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-single-source&dchild=1&keywords=router&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B07L56SN8M&pd_rd_r=facbf227-6f6d-42fa-bf4f-da648472784c&pd_rd_w=ermEj&pd_rd_wg=Gyu5u&pf_rd_p=7f9a42bd-c050-43e5-9e70-deb13f53640d&pf_rd_r=HDPMFPWREG7FAVFW57Q7&qid=1598039741&sr=1-3-72d6bf18-a4db-4490-a794-9cd9552ac58d&tag=digitaltren0b-20&th=1

I’ve only had the Nest router setup for a few days, but it appears to be perfect. I feel comfortable recommending it because I had a google wifi setup for a long time before that, and it was pretty great.

Router and 2 access points is $279 at Best Buy:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-nest-wifi-ac2200-mesh-system-router-and-2-add-on-points-3-pack-snow/6382518.p?skuId=6382518

How many you need depends on how large your place is. For a router plus single access point, it’s $199:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-nest-wifi-ac2200-mesh-system-router-and-point-2-pack-snow/6382512.p?skuId=6382512

I’m thinking I may not even need an extra access point, would there be any sense to starting with just the router or is that crazy talk?

It’s purely a matter of cost, because it’s trivially easy to add additional points to the network once it’s set up. The only thing is that I can’t immediately tell how much it is to purchase an additional access point individually.

First option: Buy router only for $169, maybe buy an additional one later for ??? ($169 is the router price on google, with $149 the list price for an access point. They’re probably available cheaper elsewhere)
Second option: Buy router + AP for $199 from the Best Buy sale link

I’d go with the second. One thing that may or may not be relevant - even if a single router were to cover the entire interior, it might be nice to have a reasonable wifi signal outside for things like security cameras or just the ability to have a cheap portable exterior speaker that connects to your network.

Edit: And it looks like nest access points might fetch about $100 on ebay if it turns out you don’t need it.

1 Like

Ok, sold, ty

Looks like they rebranded it nest but yes that’s basically what I have.

FYI, the nest version is an upgrade over the original google wifi.

Not entirely sure why I’m so invested in this discussion. I’m apparently SUPER happy with this purchase.

What is better? You have piqued my interest (and likely pissed off my girlfriend).

Comparison here:

The increase in coverage seems accurate so far. The downside is that access points don’t have any ethernet capabilities. (But if you already have a google wifi puck, you can continue to use that in a wired capacity in a nest network.) The difference between nest routers and nest access points may also influence whether you’d want a combo of router plus access points or multiple routers.

Any Excel graph gurus here? Need some dire help.

By the way, my problem from a few posts above is likely a bad cable line. Comcast escalated the issue and like a mega technician came out on Sunday whose job it is to get shit done no matter what. He checked outside and in the attic where our internet line comes in and found interference. He couldn’t tell exactly where it was coming from, but thought the line was either touching an electrical line in the attic or perhaps someone had stapled the cable down, punctured it, and it was deteriorating. He pulled a whole new cable through the attic and into my home office. Also replaced a part outside.

Spent a good couple hours in our house, which wasn’t thrilling, but he was wearing a mask, we stayed away from each as much as possible, and he was very nice. When he finished, he sat outside for 30 minutes just to monitor things.

We still had a bunch of outages Monday and Tuesday, but none since. He gave me his cell, so I updated him. He said he was going to send someone out to completely replace the line from the street to the house. Dude is a champ.

1 Like

Guru? Questionable. But I do play with data all day.

1 Like

I need to make a stacked column graph that consists of 2 columns side by side (1 planned work and 1 actual work). These stacked columns need to be broken out into 11 different colors to represent the 11 different projects. Horizontal axis is just the weekly date. I can’t figure out how to get the 2 stacked columns side by side on the same graph.

Sorry, was ready to look at this, then got called for a house task.

Anyway, is this what you have in mind? Data looks like this:

And stacked columns like this?

This is straightforward - just highlight the area, select stacked chart, then switch rows/columns.

But I feel like I’m either misunderstanding what you’re looking for or what your data looks like, because this feels like an incredibly bad way to present the data.

1 Like

This is exactly what I was looking for. I agree it’s a poor way to visualize the data, but it’s what I was instructed to come up with. Can’t believe I couldn’t figure it out. Haven’t used excel much in the last decade. Thanks a ton for the help!

Just gotta say this community rocks sometimes. :grin: