Take Me Out To The Blockchain - Digital Sports Collectibles

i have no idea they haven’t had any packs available for a while. the bubble is absurd right now.

another Lebron card sold for 100k an hour ago.

lol apparently my card got sold 17 hours ago. which was basically 2 minutes after i put it up. had notifications off.

It doesn’t seem like it. Packs are all sold out, so it seems pretty smart to buy a ton Monday tbh.

they were limiting it to 1 per buy last time.

apparently another 100k card sold today. Another Lebron. Over 7m in transactions on the site this Sunday. The bubble is out of control.

https://twitter.com/nba_topshot/status/1353552626713907200

Any smart trader would have scooped both my cards and make at least $150 in a matter of minute because I mispriced both cards. I imagine you can make a shit ton of money if you put any effort into studying the market and finding mispricing by dumb fucks like me.

Like there’s almost no way this doesn’t burst eventually, but still lots of money to be made.

i mean my Tobias pricing was clearly off and I get my mistake. I thought new “cool cat” packs would be released the following day and once they didn’t it was obvious the price will go up because people “need” that card to get the Luka.

But why the fuck did a random serial number Obi Toppin rookie card went from $40 24 hours ago to over $100 now?

1 Like

btw the lowest harris card now is $210 for serial number 1211. I’m positive that’s a very +ev buy. Not only is it 45 dollars less than the next one on the market, but there are only 80 right now and there’s some insanity regarding serial numbers and the player’s jersey number. Toby is #12.

I’m not going to buy, but i’m sure it will go for more if they don’t release tons of packs tomorrow.

I signed up with my poker buddies, I dont think more packs will be out until Thursday. Looking at their social media they always gave 2 days notice before any pack drop before.

Looked into this a little more. I don’t know if common packs are worth buying or not. Every other pack seems massively massively EV but I have no fucking clue.

this was true a few days ago, but if prices in the market stay the same (which is a big fucking ‘if’) then common packs are also +ev at $9. Very high variance though. A cool cat pack was guaranteed 1500% roi.

(just to be clear - no packs of any kind are available at the moment. and yes, it is dumb)

Two of my friends in my small group chat have been talking about this the past week. One just sold a card he got in a $14 pack for $450. This whole thing is so ridiculous.

So I created an account last night and want to get in on the action. Looks like withdrawing might take a while and has a $25 fee. Anything else I should know before dumping $100-$200 into this?

Yuv were you around during Cryptokitties? Ethertanks? The “art” people were posting on Ethereum?

Yeah this is emptier than empty - and by that I mean I’m comfy making a prediction that within a year nobody is going to be talking about these or buying these and the prices will be next to nothing, like other blockchain collectibles. PROVE ME WRONG KIDS.

We’re gonna try.

Also buy Gamestop. And ammo.

1 Like

This Time Is Different!

If they found a way to make tamagotchi’s the hot collectable item, I would lose a lot of money. Those things were cool.

The real smart play is to begin collecting things millennials will be nostalgic about in 30 years.

Keep in mind that there are no packs and when there are you can only realistically get 1-3 and you have to work hard for that.
When they release enough to comfortably buy, they will be worth a lot less.

Only put in money if you plan to buy and sell cards on the marketplace, which i am too lazy/dumb for

1 Like

How long do licenses for this kind of stuff last, and whats to stop them from nuking the entire market once the licenses expire?

So THIS is what we will spend our time and money on in a post scarcity world.

Kinda fascinating

I think you will always have the license to the Top Shot version of the clip. The issue is that you don’t have a license to the actual clip itself. So if the NBA wants, it could probably grant someone else a license to the same clip and they could issue their own version of a NFT.

Thus, you’re basically betting on Top Shot as a company being successful.

2 Likes

My family and I used to go to baseball card shows when I was a kid. We didn’t buy much, just liked looking at the old cards and listening to my dad get depressed as he said, “I had that one, I had that one, I had that one…”

Sometimes we would buy boxes of “commons” to help complete sets. I recently did the same thing with virtual blockchain cards and got a ton of these:

Now I just need the Yankees fans taunting to complete my shitty NY/NJ fan set.

3 Likes

I actually found myself on a Topps card recently. It’s not a baseball card like I had dreamed of when I was a kid, but hey, I’ll take it. Now just wait for me to buy it before you guys start artificially inflating its price.

s-l500_LI

8 Likes