Take Me Out To The Blockchain - Digital Sports Collectibles

I’d raid my kids’ college savings accounts for a blockchain gif of Giannis teabagging Tim Hardaway Jr on his way to a monster jam.

2 Likes

This is seriously the most bizarre thing I’ve ever seen.

3 Likes

Prices of non-limited editions tanking sitewide as predicted.

There are currently only 8 non limited edition series 2 cards that have a price over $10.

Lebron $109, Luka $37, Zion $28, Durant $24, Curry $19, Ja $18, Giannis $15, and AD $14.

There’s just no way for this stuff to retain any value if they could decide at any point to create 100k more. The above 8 are probably going to continue to drop in value too.

1 Like

So you’re saying I’m not going to get any takers on my Devin Booker for $35?

If it’s the common one that currently has a low ask of $6? That’s likely no unless you have a super low, Jersey or meme serial #

“Your cards will never be lost because they exist on a hard drive” is hilarious considering that the entire premise of collectables is scarcity.

Also, this clip is free everywhere on the internet but you will be the only person who owns it as apart of this block chain and you will see it in your account when you login is honestly completely insane. Who in the fuck is buying this stuff and where did their money come from?

And how can you compare this to the nostalgia of an actual physical possession. i can remember opening Fleer cards as a kid. The stick of bubble gum. The ceremony. Etc.

I’m assuming everyone buying the really expensive cards was or is a DFS player, poker player or crypto nut

1 Like

It’s as much the 2k generation. A 22 year old is used to loot boxes and in game purchases. They’ve likely spent more money on digital players in 2k and fifa then physical cards.

LOL?

Yes. Although, let’s be clearer about this: the exact clip packaged in the Top Shot animation cube and all of the other frames that go with it are downloadable. Anyone is free to download an exact bit-perfect replica of your “rare.” That’s why this is theoretically interesting compared to Mike Trout cardboard which I cannot easily and perfectly replicate at the atomic level.

We need Shaqtin a Fool packs - I want a holographic version of Draymond Green chucking up that 3 pointer last night

3 Likes

Does anyone have enough familiarity with the underlying technology to ballpark how much work and $$$ it would take to roll a similar product sans licensing?

BLOCKCHAIN is priceless

1 Like

So cards for players like Johnnys Antidomekipa and Lobaron Jarms?

4 Likes

I tried to sell all my commons and only Zion and Durant sold (for those min prices). So even the lowest prices according to 2 nights ago were not selling.

1 Like

We should eventually reach a point, and I think it’s soon, where 80-90% of anything that isn’t LE is available for $1 and only collected by people looking to finish sets or collect a favorite player/team. I think that would be a good sign for the long term health of this.

1 Like

I was thinking more like Devin Currant.

1 Like

i agree. i did sell my giannis brother LE card (12k copies). I saw the lowest price was $4 i was like that seems low i’ll put it for $8 and it sold basically 1 minute after. Then I realized it was #~400/#12000.

i think this silliness of valuing a low but not exceptionally low serial number will also disappear.

2 Likes

you hope. lol

Cool Cats prices tanking after the Luka redemption too. Probably be under $100 each tomorrow.

Lesson is definitely don’t hold cards that are part of a challenge past the end of the challenge. Also, it’s questionable whether it’s worth buying up challenge cards to get the reward card. Likely that Luka plus all 5 challenge cards will be under the price that you could have sold all 5 for prior to redemption soon.

https://twitter.com/peteroverzet/status/1359970548999204864

2 Likes