Suzzerwalrus interest thread

I put a link to the categories in the OP so they don’t get lost.

Thank you, and no worries on embedding, it happens automatically if you don’t do anything else. So it’s the easiest. (Though I’ve noticed youtube seems to cut me off at a certain point when sending out loads in a relatively short amount of time, but I don’t know if that affects the recipient of the PM as well </riveting content>)

lol Fruitrock

1 Like

what in god’s name is fruit rock.

1 Like

A funny name for a category that is “songs with fruit in its title”

If the @Jalfrezi category is real can we get a list of things you dislike other than certain mods?

Note the first sentence.

Seeing as how I hate 99.9% of all recorded music you shouldn’t have much problem finding some examples.

It’s going to be tough to find nirvana songs to fit all those categories.

Is Jal co-judging that category or is it Suzzer’s impression of how Jal would judge that category?

1 Like

Jal will give all songs a score from 1-100, 100 being the best song he’s ever heard. I will do the same. Neither of us will know who the songs came from.

You are shooting for a low score from jal and a high score from me.

1 Like

A few questions:

What is your listening setup?

Will you be distracted by other stuff while listening?

Do you think video / animation might unduly influence your perception of a song?

Home stereo - can be cranked reasonably loud for a song. Onkyo receiver and Polk 10s that I’ve had since college lol. Unless you think Apple ear buds are better - I know you’re a headphone aficionado. I don’t have fancy headphones as they always hurt my outer ear and I’d never use them.

Yes I am always distracted by other stuff. And I make snap judgements. But I rarely come back and think I should have given that song another chance. I think I could have been a music talent agent in another life. But I will listen to each song all the way through unless it’s Captain Beefheart.

I don’t plan to actually watch the videos. I might notice them but they won’t influence me.

2 Likes

If a song needs to be played really loud I’ll listen to it in the car. I have a very good car stereo with an amp.

Jal’s a punk snob, IIRC, so anything with key changes and guitar solos is apt to disagree with him.

1 Like

Hell no. Home stereo is great, just wanted to make sure you weren’t listening on laptop speakers or some other hugely flawed device that can’t produce all of the frequencies.

Snap judgments seem fine and normal to me. In general, I don’t think it takes more than 30 seconds to a minute to figure out where you’re gonna land. However, I consider critical listening to be special and it’s like meditation in my house. For that I remove distractions and either do lights out or eyes closed and it makes a big difference in how much of the fine detail I’m able to resolve. Just wanted to know if you take it that seriously so I’m not picking things that require all of your attention.

Oh man this takes walrus is a serious business to a new level

3 Likes

I would probably be so distracted in trying to be not-distracted that I’d tune out from the song.

My brain would go on a 20-paragraph tangent on why I can’t meditate, but maybe that means I need meditation more than anyone, but maybe meditation is just crap, but probably not. Oh yeah, I’m supposed to be listening to the song. Shit. But man that Trinh Tran Tren or whatever guys’s book was hard to get through. And it was TINY. If I can’t handle that, how can I do real meditation? My uncle used to do transcendental meditation and said he got into weird scary parts of his brain that he felt like he shouldn’t be allowed. Sounds like a k-hole. Can you get yourself into a k-hole without drugs? That would be cool. But what if you never come out? At least with drugs you know they’ll wear off. Oh shit, song’s over.

If anyone is listening on laptop speakers, odds are you won’t hear anything under 200 hz. That’s really bad for modern recorded music. Tablets and phones are substantially worse. That’s the just basic stuff like being able to produce the important frequencies at all.

@suzzer99

If the song has like four English words in it can I still submit it? Will it be low because of that?

That’s fine. I updated the categories.

1 Like

Cool. On my desktop which has basically no speakers I couldn’t hear 300. On a new MacBook, which I had noticed has awesome sound for a laptop I can hear 75 clearly and maybe a touch of sound at 50.