Suzzerwalrus interest thread

I am waiting for the categories. Its not fun if you dont have/like a song for the majority of them.

1 Like
2 Likes

Oh yeah - this will get started very soon now that @microbet should be back. Might not be until Monday or Tuesday though if I go hiking tomorrow.

I am back.

2 Likes

Ok here we go. I’m buzzed which is exactly how this walrus should proceed.

For the newbies, the rules, from ChrisV’s original walrus:

HOW TO PLAY WALRUS

Anyone is welcome to enter. You pick one song for each of the 7 categories I post and send them to me in a PM, link them if they’re not on Spotify (or if they are, Spotify URIs are a good idea, so I get the right version). I will rank the songs. ranking is based on 1) how much I like the song, 2) category fit, 3) uniqueness of the pick (no strict rule about obviousness, but try to not submit songs that we’ve all heard a hundred times). I will then reveal them in a fun thread where we all get to hear a lot of new music and you inform me that I am a moron with an inability to recognise good music when I hear it.

But ignore most of the scoring stuff. I’ll tell you how I’ll judge each category ahead of time - mostly it will be half category fit/half how much the song moves my butt around in my chair - which is my only metric for judging music. But some songs will be mostly butt moving, with infractions for category fail.

The pressing thing right now is that we need to find someone willing to be a randomizer. You will send your picks, preferably as spotify links, along with any description or justification you think will help sway my easily distracted mind.

Once we have a randomizer, I’ll post the categories. I don’t want to post now and inevitably have a few people submit to me.

1 Like

112 posts were split to a new topic: Suzzerwalrus Reveal Thread

Looks a fine category list and am looking forward to this, but I definitely can’t say I’m confident.

I’ll also offer to randomise and pass on entries.

(Assuming the deadline will be before about Jul 30th as I’ll be travelling from then, but it seems like it almost certainly will be)

Sweet! We have our randomizer. Send PMs to pyatniski.

Important: clearly number the entires, with first a regular link to the song in pre-formatted text (see pyatnitski’s post below), then any background, description, argument why this is the right song, fun stories etc. I will consider all added prose when judging the song, and repost some of it.

meh

That’s the spirit!

3 Likes

Not true!!

For me to be able to extract and pass them on, it’s best to put the links as preformatted text like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAdC2GtvgRA

(To do that use the GUI or precede the link by a line break and 4 spaces)

That way I can just copy and paste relatively quickly. I’ll then embed them for dear old suzzer.

Can’t you just hit the quote button then copy that?

You don’t have to embed for me. I want this to be easy for you.

I edited my post to ask for pre-formatted.

1 Like

I put a link to the categories in the OP so they don’t get lost.

Thank you, and no worries on embedding, it happens automatically if you don’t do anything else. So it’s the easiest. (Though I’ve noticed youtube seems to cut me off at a certain point when sending out loads in a relatively short amount of time, but I don’t know if that affects the recipient of the PM as well </riveting content>)

lol Fruitrock

1 Like

what in god’s name is fruit rock.

1 Like

A funny name for a category that is “songs with fruit in its title”

If the @Jalfrezi category is real can we get a list of things you dislike other than certain mods?

Note the first sentence.

Seeing as how I hate 99.9% of all recorded music you shouldn’t have much problem finding some examples.

It’s going to be tough to find nirvana songs to fit all those categories.

Is Jal co-judging that category or is it Suzzer’s impression of how Jal would judge that category?

1 Like