Summer LC thread

I think fining the individuals in question like 90% of their net worth would be more effective. Like, you did all that shit? OK, you’re poor now. Not poor poor, but what you’d consider poor. Also, you can’t be a business-type person ever again, in any capacity. Learn a trade.

You’d get the same result from a month in jail. Rich people DO NOT LIKE going to jail. Look how fast Neteller folded from their ex-founders spending one weekend in the federal pokey.

I mean, sure. Why not both?

We need a criminal justice system that stacks on additional penalties for having a high net worth. To the point where the very wealthy are extremely law abiding because they don’t want to get busted doing anything bad and do 100 years in prison for fraud.

Committing crimes when you have a lot of money is a lot more heinous than committing crimes when you’re poor and desperate. Both morally and from a ‘how big a threat to society is this person’ perspective. You have to be a pretty big sociopath to steal from people when you already have more money than you could ever spend. Probably not going to get better either.

5 Likes

The state highway I take to work every day has been under construction four years just to add two lanes and it’s still not done. Meanwhile these guys are gonna move an entire city of 10 mil in a little over twice that

1 Like

Yeah, it is going to be interesting to say the least. I haven’t been to Jakarta myself, but from everything I’ve heard from people who have, scrapping it and starting again isn’t as insane as it sounds. There’s no drinkable running water there so drinking water has to be distributed around the city on a permanent basis, meaning there are zillions of trucks on the road carting it around all the time. The traffic is incredibly bad and getting worse. Estimates are that the traffic costs $US 5 billion per year in lost productivity, so that’s about $500 per citizen of Jakarta. Indonesian GDP is only $US 3,850/person/year.

I think if you gave them a choice between doing a month in jail and losing 90% of their net worth, they’d all snap call for a month in jail.

We’re not that far away from finding out what it’s like to have a major American city attempt to function with no drinking water.

Yeah… the infrastructure is bad everywhere. There’s going to be at least one more Flint before it’s all over.

I was actually referring to the threat of New Orleans losing its drinking water supply due to flooding from climate change and hurricanes.

1 Like

Same with Miami

They could get it pumped in from elsewhere but it would cost gazillions

Tomato Tomahto lol. Do you have any links on the New Orleans situation? Obviously water levels rising is bad for New Orleans and LA in general, but I didn’t realize it was that much more dire than other low altitude coastal cities like Houston or Miami.

Boomers know they’ll be dead in 30 years. They simply dgaf.

1 Like

And in it there’s a link to this, which details how a major flood could re-route the Mississippi River and take away New Orleans’ drinking water supply:

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/environment/article_d5a29f26-06a9-11e8-abde-8b9660c81021.html

I’ll be damn curious to see what happens to Jakarta in 20 years if this happens. Brazil successfully moved its capital in the 60’s and created what is now a large city of 4 million in the middle of nowhere, but the former capital Rio’s population in that same time span doubled to 6 million.

But Rio doesn’t have the same ecological issues as Jakarta, which can’t even support its current population. So if everybody does start to leave, what does that place look like when there are only 5 million people? How about 1 million? What happens to a huge city in a developing country when most of the people are gone? I’m envisioning a sort of lawless dystopia that currently only exists in fiction.

Yeah this is a fact that needs to become even more viral in our age ranges (I’m guessing most in here are Gen X and younger). These old people simply aren’t bothering to think more than 1-3 years out because they expect to be dead in <10.

And this particular crop of olds doesn’t have much to redeem them. If we let them they’ll absolutely bleed us dry on retirement costs which they didn’t feel like funding.

I’m probably gonna rent again (lol, economy) but I’m looking at what’s for sale in coastal OC and Long Beach. As part of looking I checked into likely sea level rise in relevant areas. Seal Beach, southern LB, and Newport peninsula are likely problematic around 2060 if 4 ft sea level rise.

Jakarta is a horrible city.

Just searched for Kaepernick and it said that during the protesting it dropped viewers by 8%. Seems pretty shocking to me that people would stop watching due to that. Although considering the shit Adam Goodes received here for being vocal against racism I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

Mos Def was so far ahead of his time he’s like the Jules Verne of hip-hop. F*** a bank, I need a twenty-year water tank

2 Likes