Stuff: the Things We Acquire and Don't Get Rid Of

It reduces the culture of many tribes of Native Americans to a single caricature or mascot. There are a bunch of U.S. sports teams with Native American mascots and names, all of which are inappropriate, but were considered acceptable by most Americans until recently.

I have a cringey picture of myself as a 5-year-old in a Native American caricature costume, with feather, war paint, and fringed leather clothing.

I guess the closest European parallel would be dressing up as a Romani, although I think there are more positive stereotypes of the Native Americans than there are of the Romani.

1 Like

Are the kids big enough to wear them so that you can dress them up once, take a picture to send to the parents, then throw them away?

Yeah, it’s not like it’s anything to do with actual Native American culture or practices or people. It’s a white caricature thereof, and it’s pretty disrespectful to people whose ancestors were slaughtered by our ancestors to prance around and pretend we’re them for fun. It’s not quite on the level of blackface, which is used explicitly to demean Black people, but it’s not much better.

1 Like

They’re pretty little. I think we can just throw the vests away, and they won’t be missed. No pics, because I don’t need that in my digital history.

I was doing pretty good with the purging until I bought a few thousand (like… five boxes?) Magic cards a couple months ago. Turned out profitably but now left with thousands of “bulk” that has some theoretical value that isn’t worth anyone’s time monetizing. It’s going to be painful for me tossing “usable cards”.

My parents store a bunch of their stuff in half a warehouse that’s now being sold so the next month is going to involve figuring out where to put a few tons of their old useless antiques and furniture… :((((

The one thing I am good at in regard to stuff is not buying stuff. The only real weakness I have is buying seeds and I do use them. I also save seeds but it doesn’t take up a great deal of space.

2 Likes

When your one (maybe not even) vice is seeds, you’re doing it right.

5 Likes

Have been using lockdown to (slowly) clean out my closets. Finally reached the box of swag from Full Tilt Poker. Lol.

8 Likes

I used to have Sooooooo much of that crap.

I’m about a third of the way to qualifying for a hoarding show. Including a Full Tilt chipset.

2 Likes

You’re not the only one. Lots of market research shows that this is the case for the majority of people.

1 Like

https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/youboxwebuy/

Box them up and let someone else do the hard work.

The shipping would be double what any retail site offers me for my mtg bulk :) I tell myself I’ll use it or donate it when everything opens up again…

I rock a couple full tilt hoodies and a couple circuit hoodies. They’re… pretty soft.

I’ve got a Party Poker baseball cap.

2 Likes

I’ve got a Greg Raymer bobblehead…

3 Likes

Oh man this reminded me that I have a “I knocked out a pro on FTP” tshirt buried somewhere. I was so excited when I won that for knocking out someone I had never heard of before. The good old days.

1 Like

The resolution to this is that her Stuff gets moved to the garage unexamined, while my Stuff gets examined for removal.

3 Likes

I have a Full Tilt dildo with the same poorly drawn face on each end labeled on one side Doug Polk and on the other Vanessa Selbst.

Nah, that’s just a poor joke, but Full Tilt did fuck me.

1 Like

All of this Stuff is still in the garage unexamined. Not sure the cars are ever going back in.

1 Like