Stonks & Bonds. lol fundamentals, sir this is a Taco Bell

Yeah. My experience is at a distance. Hearing from the digital sales folks. They basically spend on google ads so long as the cost to acquire stays below a target figure. The spend and sales goes up and down weekly depending on what our competitors are doing on spend.

Its pretty shitty channel because we cant make much money.

Every small business person I talk to says advertising on Facebook is basically required because the targeting is so good.

Yes they have the best in the business. They are getting hit hard by privacy changes though

Yeah I’m in ML at my company. We decide how to segment the customers, how much to multiply the bids, what content to show, which products to show (generally using our first party data combined with pixel or email tracking)…as your company gets bigger the more levers you can pull to improve to get more scale at the same as cost as a percent of revenue. We are also able to accurately attribute the revenue to the right channel across all channels which most smaller places use last click or something similar. Smaller companies or less technically proficient companies generally just have a spend bucket like you’re describing. Though the new troas from Google is outpacing a lot of our internal tools.

Charlie Munger turns 100 years old in 325 days.

1 Like

can you please take back saying you’d vote for someone proposing bringing back slavery over a republican? that’s the second time i went to heart a post of yours and didn’t bc i’m stubborn and am still forced to hate you bc of that comment.

two shiny heart upvotes can be all yours…

No, my main point is that I consider Republicans to be such a danger because of January 6 that I would vote for Democrats who are very bad people over any Republican in the near future. Setting the line for what would change my mind beyond something so bad that it wouldn’t happen makes clear that I have no interest in compromise.

Disney just announced their earnings this week. They’ve been trumpeting their enormous Disney+ subscriber growth over the last couple of years (they’ve almost caught Netflix in that regard). But they’ve lost a bunch of money because they’ve invested a huge amount in the production of new content (e.g., Mandalorian, Wandavision).

But this week, they just announced a drop in Disney+ subscribers. I’m teaching an MBA class today, and this has prompted my first ever in-class meme:

Just posting it here because I think it’s hilarious and perfect, but I expect that when I show it in class it’s going to elicit the same blank-faced reaction I get from my wife when I tell her that my lawnmower is in orbit.

14 Likes

29 Likes

Good luck with that.

1 Like

Spider should definitely have your meme queued up as well.

3 Likes

Paging @pvn to show us the meme he put on a presentation slide for work that one time, it was pretty funny

1 Like

During an elevated phase I nearly included the meme below on an email to my bosses boss and others

It was a fairly serious email with a lot of analysis.

Fortunately I checked with my team and they strongly vetoed.

I think anything more obscure than fist pump baby is not okay for work.

Yeah this went over like a lead balloon. That’s ok, the rest of the class was pretty terrible too. Just a dreadful job all around by me today.

2 Likes

A long time ago I got into trouble for having this sign on my desk.

The CEO visited our office and got pretty upset. Guess it hit too close to home.

10 Likes

The schedule for this program is really crazy. Each semester, the students come to campus once a month for a 3-day block, and do that in 3 consecutive months. So, for example, February’s 3-day period was this Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Each of those 3 days, they have 2 4-hour classes. One class 8am-noon, then a 1pm-5pm class. I teach in two of those blocks, so they got 8 hours of me over Friday and Saturday. That’s a lot to handle, and having the very last 4-hour class of the month is rough because everyone is tired and ready to go home. But I definitely didn’t do them any favors in terms of making the Saturday class interesting.

Such is life - they can’t all be winners. And I’ve got one more block in March to make it up to them.

1 Like

that format would be awful for me, theres just no way im not zoning out after the first 1.5 hrs, the last 2 hrs would be almost pointless

:harold:

Not good!

For years I’ve had a TIRA and a Roth IRA at Vanguard, in order to do annual backdoor conversions.

Just logged in to do my annual contribution, and the TIRA is… gone. Like no record of it anywhere on my page. It had no money in it since it was just used for backdoor conversions, but I found that odd. Three Vanguard reps later they tell me they sometimes close accounts if there’s no activity in it for 1 year (an odd policy for IRA’s, IMO, where people often make contributions once per year).

No way to revive the old TIRA - only way to do the backdoor conversions now is to open up a new TIRA. Not sure if that has any tax implications but annoyingly I now have to research that. I assume there are no implications, since my TIRA contributions were not tax deductible, and the transfers were not taxable, but I don’t know for sure.